Bolton's notorious forger's artwork to be sold at auction. (I will never get used to adjectives like 'notorious' and 'master'. I prefer infamous.)

Moderator Msn

Feb 19, 2021, 1:31:38 AMFeb 19
to Museum Security Network, ARTFORGERY

Bolton's notorious forger's artwork to be sold at auction

    18th February
    By Lyell Tweed @lyell_tweed News Reporter
    Shaun Greenhalgh on Fake or Fortune.

    Shaun Greenhalgh on Fake or Fortune.

    The artwork of a notorious master forger from Bolton is set to be sold at a forthcoming auction.

    Shaun Greenhalgh is set to auction five of his recent works at Bolton Auction Rooms in Breightmet on April 12, after a 'quiet spell' due to upcoming film and TV work.

    Mr Greenhalgh achieved national fame after being imprisoned in 2007 when his forgeries were found out.

    He conned experts of the art world with the help of his father in his shed in Bromley Cross.

    Among his forgeries was the infamous ‘Amarna Princess’, which was acquired by Bolton Council for £440,000. A British Museum report authenticated the figure as 3,300 years old.

    He was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison and during his incarceration he wrote his autobiography, A Forger’s Tale: Confessions of the Bolton Forger, which was published in 2017.

    Shaun's work has been previously sold at the Breightmet auction house for thousands of pounds, with it always "in high demand" according to the auction house.

    Alan Howcroft, director at the Bolton Auction House, said: "Shaun's pieces always go for a lot of money. He doesn't do these auctions very often and they attract people from all over the world.

    "There's always a lot of interest and we're happy to have him work with us.

    "His works are just unbelievable, everything he does in top drawer.

    "We've had a client from China buy from our auctions when his (Shaun) are for sale.

    "Not only are they great pieces of art people really buy into the story too."

    Alan added that they are hopeful that they will be able to have the auction in person and have as many people as possible if lockdown restrictions are eased.

    Although they have continued auctions virtually and "by the book" during the coronavirus pandemic which has continued to be successful.

    The five works that are to be auctioned are two Lowry paintings, two Dagas and a Matisse painting.

    Shaun is said to be working on a feature film with Netflix and other TV shows at the BBC at the moment.

    He last appeared in a BBC Four series in 2019 called 'Handmade in Bolton" where he teamed up with an Oxford professor to show how to research and remake a selection of precious objects from the past using traditional materials and methods.

    Sign in or register leave a comment or rate a comment

    Emanuel Shadrack 18th February 10:55 am User ID: 2496619
    2 Reading his book at the moment he's a talented guy.

    Last Updated: 18th February 11:42 pm

    Grey Wych 18th February 11:25 am User ID: 1843221
    1 There is something quite satisfying when "experts" are brought down a peg or two. Remember Hugh Trevor Roper authenticating Hitler's Diaries? We are prone to believing things despite the evidence and it does no harm to review our "expertise" from time to time.

    Last Updated: 18th February 02:21 pm

    Formerly Boff Jones 18th February 01:16 pm User ID: 3664232

    0 Yes, I do remember. I'm sure all the 'experts' who know better than scientists regarding covid will also suffer the same fate.

    Balls of steel 18th February 01:14 pm User ID: 1680393
    2 criminals should not be allowed to profit from crimes like he has..

    Last Updated: 18th February 04:47 pm

    [Deleted] 18th February 02:09 pm
    0 [Deleted]

    Last Updated: 18th February 02:14 pm

    thatsabigone 18th February 02:13 pm User ID: 1675647
    1 Too true, "master forger" is that what we call thieving scum bags theses days? If you are really really good at mugging old ladies does that make you a master mugger? and when you get out of jail your time is served so you are welcomed with open arms and praise ?

    Last Updated: 18th February 04:07 pm

    Lucifarian 18th February 02:17 pm User ID: 672802
    3
    thatsabigone wrote: Too true, "master forger" is that what we call thieving scum bags theses days? If you are really really good at mugging old ladies does that make you a master mugger? and when you get out of jail your time is served so you are welcomed with open arms and praise ?
    It's hardly the same is it? Mind you, reading comments on this website, the knuckle draggers will be after lynching, tarring, feathering then stringing him up.
    Moronic.

    Last Updated: 18th February 11:42 pm

    Formerly Boff Jones 18th February 02:22 pm User ID: 3664232
    1 But he wasn't a thief. He proffered a small statue that after being scrutinised by an 'expert', was deemed to be a relic. Bolton Council then offered an obscene amount of money for this before getting it checked out further. "Fair exchange is not robbery".

    Last Updated: 18th February 04:08 pm

    Farmer_George 18th February 05:01 pm User ID: 2336687
    1
    thatsabigone wrote: Too true, "master forger" is that what we call thieving scum bags theses days? If you are really really good at mugging old ladies does that make you a master mugger? and when you get out of jail your time is served so you are welcomed with open arms and praise ?
    I've no problem with that - he served his time.

    Last Updated: 6 hrs ago

    Lucifarian 18th February 02:14 pm User ID: 672802
    3
    Balls of steel wrote: criminals should not be allowed to profit from crimes like he has..
    He served his time. Copying art is commonplace. Collectors will buy these now knowing precisely what they are. If he can make a comfortable living from his natural talent, then kudos to him.
    Would you rather him stay unemployed and turn to other crime to eke out a living?

    Last Updated: 6 hrs ago

    [Deleted] 18th February 04:59 pm
    0 [Deleted]

    Last Updated: 18th February 04:59 pm

    Farmer_George 18th February 04:59 pm User ID: 2336687
    1
    Balls of steel wrote: criminals should not be allowed to profit from crimes like he has..
    That's why he served a jail sentence. Anything else you want to add?

    Last Updated: 6 hrs ago