Measuring lux from LEDs

Helena Rodwell

Jan 31, 2018, 7:42:04 AM1/31/18
to Museum Lighting
Hello

The collections and conservation teams at University of Cambridge Museums have been having several discussions about LEDs, particularly in regard to how to monitor lux levels.  We understand that our current light monitors do not measure light from LEDs reliably/accurately and this is already proving problematic in the sector as more and more LEDs are being installed.  Does anyone know of any manufacturers out there that sell equipment that measures lux from LEDs and is accessible to the museum sector?  Or any manufacturers exploring this topic specifically?

Many thanks
Helena Rodwell

Jesper Cederlund

Jan 31, 2018, 6:01:39 PM1/31/18
to Museum Lighting
Hello Helena.
Can you please be more specific on why you can’t measure LUX levels on LED as normal?
/jesper

jake ludemann

Feb 1, 2018, 12:17:33 PM2/1/18
to Museum Lighting
https://www.slideshare.net/theilp/pls-2014-is-measuring-led-illuminance-with-a-lux-meter-accurate

I found this slide presentation helpful in trying to understand the problem.

In essence, the light meter is modeled on the human eye.
Depending on the technology used in the meter, some can measure different light sources less "objectively" than one might expect.

Is anyone else finding good info about this?

Jake Ludemann

Feb 1, 2018, 12:33:05 PM2/1/18
to Museum Lighting
As I continue to dig a little, here's some manufacturer specific info from one of the meters that I currently use.

(Hope that's allowed, please let me know if it's not.)

Manufacturer response to LED accuracy

Hope this is helpful.

iGuzzini Illuminazione

Feb 9, 2018, 6:19:53 AM2/9/18
to Museum Lighting
Good morning Helena,

This is Camille form the lighting manufacturer iGuzzini.
When we need to measure the Lux levels of an LED fitting we usually use Konica Minolta light meters, they are very accurate and reliable: https://www.konicaminolta.eu/en/measuring-instruments/products/light-display-measurement.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhNa90tmY2QIVG7bACh25YgpfEAAYASAAEgJpmvD_BwE

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Camille Chupin