Emission factor

Mia McLachlan

Nov 26, 2021, 11:14:05 AM11/26/21
to MUSE
Hi all, hope you are well,

We have successfully run our BAU scenario but now looking at our decarbonisation scenario. We have defined a carbon price in Projections.csv and are utilising the CommodityEmissionFactor for each technology in GlobalCommodities.csv. However, we are not seeing any change in our results so we think we are missing something.

We were wondering if CommodityEmissionFactor should be considered relative or whether they need to be in the same base units as every thing else (kt/PJ)). We were also wondering if we need to adjust the row in GlobalCommodities.csv which introduces CO2f?

Many thanks,
Avi and Mia

Alexander Kell

Nov 26, 2021, 11:33:08 AM11/26/21
to MUSE
Typically you would introduce a carbon budget in the toml, not in the Projections.csv. More information can be seen here:
https://museenergydocs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/inputs/toml.html?highlight=budget#carbon-market

Any questions feel free to come back to us!

Thanks,
Alex

sara giarola

Nov 26, 2021, 6:22:21 PM11/26/21
to MUSE
Hi all,
I think the best way to address this problem is to proceed with a carbon price approach. The carbon budget would be difficult to define for just a sector.
If you define a carbon price and you do not see anything, it may be because you have not defined emissions (this needs to go in the commOUT column correspondent to the CO2f commodity). The unit of the emissions is kt / PJ, if this is your basis for the production from stoves.
There are situations where BAU may also involve some decarbonisation if inline with the agents' objectives.
Sara

Mia McLachlan

Nov 27, 2021, 7:01:50 AM11/27/21
to MUSE
Hi Sara, thanks for this,
I just updated the commOUT file but I am still not seeing any change in capacity uptake. Is there anything else you can think of that we could be missing?

Best wishes,
Mia

sara giarola

Nov 28, 2021, 3:16:20 AM11/28/21
to MUSE
Please first check that the emissions calculated by the model (in the supply file) matches your expectations and are comparable with the technological characteristics.
Second, if the application of a carbon price does not change anything, it may be that the objective of the agents does not include emissions costs (if you are using comfort for example...) or it may be that the carbon price is to small to show any relevant effect. In the model the carbon price is used in MUS$/kt.
Thirs option, the model is not running correclty for other reasons, for example the capacity is not installed for any other reasons which depend on a bad model implementation.

Mia McLachlan

Nov 28, 2021, 6:21:59 AM11/28/21
to MUSE
Hi Sara, the emissions calculated by the model in the supply file are still 0 despite defining quantities in commOUT

Mia McLachlan

Nov 29, 2021, 4:55:41 AM11/29/21
to MUSE
Just to follow up, currently none of our scenarios are indicating an output of emissions despite having their CO2fs defined in the commOUT. Is there somewhere else we need to define them?
Thank-you,
Avi & Mia

Alexander Kell

Nov 29, 2021, 5:07:51 AM11/29/21
to MUSE
Hi both,

I think it's probably worth sharing a case study which shows this problem so we can see where the problem is.

Thanks,
Alex

Mia McLachlan

Nov 29, 2021, 5:23:54 AM11/29/21
to MUSE
Yes sure, attached is our Scenario 2 which has objectives to mimimise emission costs but the output co2 emissions are 0 which is not what we are expecting. This is the same for all 4 scenarios.

Best wishes,
Avi & Mia

Scenario2.zip

sara giarola

Nov 29, 2021, 6:05:28 AM11/29/21
to Mia McLachlan, MUSE
The GlobalCommodities.csv should report CO2f as "Environmental" rather than "Environment".
Please also make sure that for consistency you use the same capitalisation as CO2f everywhere rather than CO2f in some files as opposed to co2f in others.
The first change is sufficient to solve your problem.

Other comments: as you are running a one-sector only model, there is not exchange among sectors. Therefore the market can use the "excluded_commodities" feature, meaning that it will not try to equilibrate the supply of commodities not produced by the sector. In your case:
excluded_commodities = ["wood", "charcoal", "kerosene", "gas", "electricity", "bioethanol", "biogas", "CO2f"]
This will suppress the warning about the growth rates.

Mia McLachlan

Nov 29, 2021, 8:49:06 AM11/29/21
to MUSE
Thanks Sara that's working perfectly now!