Mus2okur Questions

jax

Nov 26, 2010, 12:39:05 AM11/26/10
to Mus2
In Mus2okur > Academy > Ornamentations it says:

"The program also includes sample sheet music featuring newly-proposed
ornamentation symbols based on international standards to express the
the various types of ornamentation unique to Turkish music. The
proposed symbols are shown below"

Is the sheet music "Süslemeler" whıch defınes these ornamentations
also found somewhere in the database?

jax

Nov 26, 2010, 12:47:17 AM11/26/10
to Mus2

In the Pitch window, it would be nice if when we click on a note a
second time, it plays again. Then we can practice pitch and singing
with it.

Utku Uzmen

Nov 26, 2010, 7:53:57 AM11/26/10
to mus...@googlegroups.com
The ornamentation sheet is only available on the ornamentation help page,
but you can extract this score as a graphics file by right-clicking it and
choosing "Save Picture As".

In the Pitch window, if you choose the Piano view (bottom right), you can
audition the same key multiple times.

Utku Uzmen

jax

Nov 26, 2010, 1:11:01 PM11/26/10
to Mus2
> In the Pitch window, if you choose the Piano view (bottom right), you can
> audition the same key multiple times.

Ah! I see that the piano is also documented in the online help. My
mistake ... thank you.

jax

Dec 2, 2010, 8:48:53 AM12/2/10
to Mus2
Mus2okur uses a modern theoretical mapping of the classical intervals
to 53-TET.

But in olden times before modern theory of this sort, how where the
intervals defined?

Were they interpolations from the harmonic series? Pythagorean
intervals from the cycle of fifths like 17-tone European music of the
15th century?

I'm curious about this!? Thank you if you can point me to any
exposition of the historical theory.

Utku Uzmen

Dec 3, 2010, 6:21:39 AM12/3/10
to mus...@googlegroups.com
I can recommend two sources:

- Makam: Modal Practice in Turkish Art Music by Karl Signell
- Ozan Yarman's doctorate thesis 79-Tone Tuning & Theory for Turkish Maqam
Music As A Solution To The Non-Conformance Between Current Model And
Practice (http://www.ozanyarman.com/files/doctorate_thesis.pdf)

Utku Uzmen

jax

Dec 3, 2010, 8:56:58 AM12/3/10
to Mus2

On Dec 3, 4:21 am, "Utku Uzmen" <utkuuz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can recommend two sources:

> - Makam: Modal Practice in Turkish Art Music by Karl Signell
> - Ozan Yarman's doctorate thesis

Wonderful! Thank you very much.