Transposing

MarkC

Oct 16, 2010, 6:18:00 PM10/16/10
to Mus2
Mus2 looks like a great start for something that's been needed badly
for years. Accurately composing and playing back microtonal music in
Finale is very difficult if not downright impossible.

One feature I'm not finding in Mus2 is the ability to transpose a
score (that is the notes and key signatures, not the pitches of the
staff lines). For example, were I to receive a score written as a
bayyati in E and I wanted to convert it to a bayyati in D, how would I
do that?

Sort of related to that, it would be nice to see MusicXML support so
that I could import existing scores written in Finale.

Utku Uzmen

Oct 17, 2010, 5:50:24 AM10/17/10
to mus...@googlegroups.com
MusicXML import and export is something we also would like to have. As for
transposing, Mus2 currently doesn't have a transposition feature that will
automatically determine accidentals according to tonality. This is because
it's not entirely straightforward to transpose notes on non-EDO scales.
However, there is an option in the Edit menu called "Shift Notes" that will
move all selected notes up or down a number of steps. You would have to
correct the accidentals of notes manually, though.

Key signatures are easier as you can go to the Tuning window, create or
duplicate a tuning and just change the accidentals on the Key Signature tab.
If you have already assigned the tuning you are editing to bars, the score
will be automatically updated with the new key signature.

Utku Uzmen