Kiz Ney Tonality

Mark

Feb 8, 2011, 5:24:18 PM2/8/11
to Mus2
Hi,
Please forgive me if I'm not using the correct terms. I have started
studying the Ney with a local teacher in the US. I find him good, but
no up to speed on the theory, and the correct tonalities. I have
started learning Maqam scales, and it is very important for me to play
the with the correct pitch on my Ney. So I bought the Mus2 as well as
the Mus2okur software to have a good reference when I’m playing. I
have a Kiz Ney with Mus2okur, there is a nice feature to change the
tonality of what is being played to Kiz Ney. As a first exercise on
the Mus2, I wrote the Rast scale, however, when I play it through the
software it plays is as Mansur. Is there a way (similar to the one in
Mus2okur) to change the tonality to Kiz Ney where the notes on the
staff remain the same, but the sound being played is with a Kiz
interval?
Thanks,
-mark

Utku Uzmen

Feb 9, 2011, 3:56:49 AM2/9/11
to mus...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As you state, the maqam scale examples in Mus2 are tuned to the Mansur
Nısfiyesi diapason. To change any of these scales to Kız Neyi, you need to
transpose them by -996 cents as follows:

1. Choose Tuning from the Score menu.
2. Select the scale you want to transpose (or add a new tuning by clicking
Add; the default diapason for a new tuning is Mansur Nısfiyesi).
3. Go to the Pitch tab.
4. Under "Transpose All", enter -996 in the "By Cents" box and click
Transpose. The frequency list should reflect your changes.
5. Click OK to close the Tuning window.
6. Choose the "Key & Rhythm" tool from the toolstrip.
7. Choose the "Tuning and Key Signature" option from the red section.
8. Click the beginning of the staff where you want to use the maqam scale,
and select the scale you want to use.

The sound of the Rast scale should now match your Ney.

Best,

Utku Uzmen

Yeshl

Feb 9, 2011, 1:54:55 PM2/9/11
to Mus2
Good evening,

and thanks for the message.

I don't understand those -996.

In my view, Kizney is just one whole step above Mansur.
So I expected a +204 c transposition.
-996 gives a seventh lower.
Or do you point something I didn't noticed?

Greetings

Bernard.

Utku Uzmen

Feb 10, 2011, 7:35:22 AM2/10/11
to mus...@googlegroups.com
A +204c transposition would give you a scale an octave higher than Kız Neyi
(i.e. the diapason Kız Nısfiyesi). If you have Mus2okur, you can see this in
the Diapason section of the Academy tab (see the diapasons #7, #17 and #5).

Yeshl

Feb 11, 2011, 4:21:35 AM2/11/11
to Mus2
Hallo Utku

Well, I understand your theory (and I was confusing Neyi and
Nısfiyesi)
I imagined at first that Mark only wanted to play one whole step
higher
from a mansur to a kiz ney.
Thanks for your explanation. I learn a lot from this software.

Mark

Feb 11, 2011, 2:41:02 PM2/11/11
to Mus2
Thank you all,
I have tried this, and it worked perfectly. Now if I wanted to
tranpose to Mansur, would I enter -1200?
-mark
> > > -mark- Hide quoted text -

Utku Uzmen

Feb 12, 2011, 5:10:42 AM2/12/11
to mus...@googlegroups.com
Yes, a transposition of -1200 cents would tune the staff to Mansur Neyi. One
addition we will be making to Mus2 is standard transposition/diapason
commands so users won't be forced to do the cent calculations.

marc whalen

Aug 20, 2019, 8:01:08 PM8/20/19
to mus2-en
hi, I am using MUS2 to write scores. My goal is to provide score transpositions (notes moves up or down) so that I can provide absolute notation scores to Western musicians. So far the transpose mode appears to only change pitch values in the playback, which is not that useful. Does anyone know how to move all of the notes in the score up or down (what is referred to as transposition in other notation programs like sibelius or forte). Thanks,
Marc

Michiel van der Meulen

Aug 21, 2019, 4:31:14 PM8/21/19
to mus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,
Mus2 doesn’t have a transpose function but there is a workaround:
1. Select all notes of your score.
2. Use “Edit>Shift notes” to move the notes up or down.
3. Adjust the key signature (you will need to create key signatures for transposed makams).
4. Check the accidentals.

Regards,
Michiel van der Meulen

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone