Update input sensitivity while playing

gotThe Lucas

Nov 24, 2023, 12:36:11 PM11/24/23
to mupen64plus
I have M64Plus in an Android box, and I use it with a digital gamepad (no analog stick). I want it this way because I love this gamepad.

The N-Rage controller plugin in PJ64 allows me to configure the sensitivity of the digital input to not be 100%, so I can walk in Mario 64 if I set the input sensitivity to 50% for instance. The good thing about the plugin, is that you can update the sensitivity while playing with a hotkey. So you can switch between having 100% sensitivity or 50% by pressing a key mid-game.

Therefore I was able to run or walk with a digital pad.

Is there anyway to use the NRage input plugin with M64Plus?
Or can I setup a hotkey to swap the sensitivity while I am playing?

Richard Goedeken

Nov 24, 2023, 12:53:37 PM11/24/23
to mupen...@googlegroups.com, gotThe Lucas
Hello,

When using the keyboard input with the mupen64plus-input-sdl plugin, the user
can hold the right-shift key to reduce the intensity of the analog stick
movement by 50%, and can also hold the right-control key to reduce the
intensity by 31%. These key codes are hard-coded in the source code of the plugin.

Would this keyboard scheme also work for you when playing with your digital
joypad? It would be easy to add this same logic to also limit the maximum
analog stick movement for joystick devices.

Richard
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mupen64plus/bceb1ad7-0e63-450f-a57d-35b0c651cb38n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mupen64plus/bceb1ad7-0e63-450f-a57d-35b0c651cb38n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

gotThe Lucas

Nov 24, 2023, 1:15:09 PM11/24/23
to mupen64plus
Hi Richard, what you are describing is exactly what I need and implementing it repurposing the existing logic sounds like a great idea.

Ideally I would like to be able to map the right-control key to a button in my joypad, so I can press that button when I want my axis to have 50% less movement.

However I don't know how to actually do it.

Any recommendation on where to get started? I am a programmer and it sounds like an interesting thing I could do.

thx!

Richard Goedeken

Nov 24, 2023, 2:35:51 PM11/24/23
to mupen...@googlegroups.com, gotThe Lucas
I have attached a diff file which will implement this feature in the input-sdl
plugin using the hard coded keys right-shift/control. It's pretty easy.

Doing this using joystick buttons which are configurable is a more involved
task, which would require adding new configuration parameters and dealing with
the whole auto-configuration system.

There's not really that much code in the input-sdl plugin, you should be able
to just read through it and figure it out.

Richard
mupen64plus-input-sdl_joystick-limit.diff

gotThe Lucas

Nov 25, 2023, 10:39:58 AM11/25/23
to mupen64plus
So cool, thank you