PS4 Configuration on Mac

Emu Troubles

Apr 16, 2016, 11:03:38 PM4/16/16
to mupen64plus
Hey Everyone,

I found the mupen64Plus emulator last night and spent the last 24 hours in a self taught Terminal crash course. After hours of messing around, I was finally able to get the program to run(and it looks amazing).

The problem I'm having now is getting my PS4 controller configuration right. After even more hours a messing around and reading forums, I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Here's a step by step process of what I think is the right path so far. I've been going to:

~/.config/mupen64plus

When I use the command "open mupen64plus.cfg" I received a notification saying "no application knows how to open" that file. So I tried the next best thing I could find and opened it with the application TextEdit using this command:

open -a TextEdit mupen64.cfg

This brought me to a text similar to what I was seeing on most of the forums. Next I identified my controller name:

Input: 1 SDL joysticks were found.

Input: N64 Controller #1: Using auto-config with SDL joystick 0 ('Wireless Controller')

Input: 1 controller(s) found, 1 plugged in and usable in the emulator

Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #1

Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #2

Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #3

Input Warning: Couldn't open rumble support for joystick #4

Input: Mupen64Plus SDL Input Plugin version 2.5.0 initialized.

I went into the mupen64.cfg text and edited one of the controllers

[Wireless Controller]

# Mupen64Plus SDL Input Plugin config parameter version number.  Please don't change this version number.

version = 2.000000

# Controller configuration mode: 0=Fully Manual, 1=Auto with named SDL Device, 2=Fully automatic

mode = 2

# Specifies which joystick is bound to this controller: -1=No joystick, 0 or more= SDL Joystick number

device = 0

# SDL joystick name (or Keyboard)

name = "Wireless Controller"

# Specifies whether this controller is 'plugged in' to the simulated N64

plugged = True

# Specifies which type of expansion pak is in the controller: 1=None, 2=Mem pak, 5=Rumble pak

plugin = 2

# If True, then mouse buttons may be used with this controller

mouse = False

# Scaling factor for mouse movements.  For X, Y axes.

MouseSensitivity = "2.00,2.00"

# The minimum absolute value of the SDL analog joystick axis to move the N64 controller axis value from 0.  For X, Y axes.

AnalogDeadzone = "4096,4096"

# An absolute value of the SDL joystick axis >= AnalogPeak will saturate the N64 controller axis value (at 80).  For X, Y axes. For each axis, this must be greater than the corresponding AnalogDeadzone value

AnalogPeak = "32768,32768"

# Digital button configuration mappings

DPad R = button(5)

DPad L = button(7)

DPad D = button(6)

DPad U = button(4)

Start = button(3)

Z Trig = button(10)

B Button = button(13)

A Button = button(14)

C Button R = axis(2-)

C Button L = axis(2+)

C Button D = axis(3+)

C Button U = axis(3-)

R Trig = button(11)

L Trig = button(8)

Mempak switch =

Rumblepak switch =

X Axis = axis(0-,0+)

Y Axis = axis(1-,1+)

Please note that the buttons I used were from someone else's config for a PS3 controller. I've tried a lot of different ways of writing it in the file, but it never seems to catch on to the actually controller. If anyone could give me some advice on how to proceed, it would be very appreciated. Keep in mind that I'm still learning about file types and terminal commands, so be as specific as possible.

Emu Troubles

Apr 17, 2016, 3:36:48 PM4/17/16
to mupen64plus

Good new! I was able to get it to work finally! I found the correct PS4 config here:

I don't know if the D-pad is working, but can't think of many games that I'd need it for anyways.

The biggest trick for was was changing the controller figuration mode to "manual". This kept the file from being re-written after I changed it. I hope this helps someone else that was as lost I was was.. I'm off to go relive my childhood now!

tconw...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2016, 3:24:57 AM4/30/16
to mupen64plus
Hey dude, I am running into the same problem got the emulator working and it automatically detects the PS3 controller but they've completely fucked the button mapping, start is on the D pad, has no Z button, etc. When I use a PS2 controller plugged in through a generic USB adapter thing that's even worse.

I have tried putting the new inputs in the inputautocfg.ini file using xcode and have saved the document but it still doesn't update the buttons.

Now I have been searching incredibly hard for this mupen64plus.cfg file but I cannot seem to find it for the life of me, I have turned on hidden files in my mac and have also been doing basic command searches in terminal such as /users/.config/mupen64plus and have also entered various other variations of that code but I cannot seem to find the .CFG file for the life of me.

I have been using a virtual boot of XP to currently play 64 games but it can run a little laggy depending on how hot the CPU gets (2011 macbook pro with i7, terrible cooling) but for now I'm just gonna have a stick a fan next to the laptop and use that cause at least it still works and I can remap all my buttons with ease.

By any chance would you be able to screenshot where exactly you got to that mupen64plus.cfg file? This emulator does look rather nice and I would prefer to use it. I'm not great with terminal either i've just taught myself little bits and pieces over the years.

Thanks