Re: Warnings in Munki

Gregory Neagle

Mar 4, 2021, 12:49:47 PM3/4/21
to Ikemann Rolf, 'Gregory Neagle' via munki-discuss, munki-dev, munki...@googlegroups.com
This issue occurs because Apple has moved macOS updates (starting with Big Sur) to a completely different mechanism/source than the "traditional" softwareupdate catalogs. So Munki can't find any more metadata about the update, and warns us.

Since this is now expected, one could certainly argue that Munki shouldn't bother warning.
I'm not sure how easy it might be to distinguish between "we expect not to be able to find metadata about this softwareupdate item" from "we expect to be able to find metadata about this softwareupdate item" and only warn when appropriate.

This problem does not occur with the current Munki release on Apple silicon, because Munki refuses to check for Apple software updates on Apple silicon (since it cannot download or install any of them without an admin user's credentials).

Since the direction seems to be _removing_ softwareupdate functionality from Munki, I can't see myself spending a lot of time addressing this issue. Perhaps we'll just change this type of message from warning to something less urgent.

I've cc'd MunkiReport, because it seems to me there will _always_ be certain warnings or errors that certain admins don't care about, and so it would be nice to have a feature to filter those out...

-Greg

On Mar 3, 2021, at 11:32 PM, Ikemann Rolf <R.Ik...@laudert.com> wrote:

Hello Greg Neagle,

I`m using your Munki software now for many years and in the meantime I administrate about 650 Mac with it.

Everything is working fine and we are very satisfied. But since macOS Big Sur I’m getting a warning while checking for Apple updates. The warning is:

                Could not cache metadata for product ID MSU_UPDATE_20D80_patch_11.2.2

It only appears on Big Sur clients and till now I haven’t found a solution online. I’m using your latest beta version 5.3.

Do you have a solution for me? It is flooding my Munki Report database and it’s more difficult to see other warnings & errors.

Thank you very much for your help.

Greetings from rainy Germany
Rolf Ikemann

<image001.jpg>

Vreden | Hamburg
Stuttgart | Bad Waldsee
Bangkok | Ho-Chi-Minh-Stadt

i.A. Rolf Ikemann
Teamleiter IT-Support

Laudert GmbH + Co. KG
Von-Braun-Straße 8
48691 Vreden

Laudert GmbH + Co. KG | Sitz: 48691 Vreden | HRA 2649 Coesfeld | PhG: Laudert Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
Sitz: 48691 Vreden | HRB 3812 Coesfeld | Geschäftsführer: Jörg Rewer