Applecare warranty check captcha and munkireport

Dave Paar

Oct 20, 2015, 5:46:22 PM10/20/15
to munkireport-dev
Hello,

Munkireport has recently begun to display "Lookup failed" for the warranty coverage within the Warranty widget. I noticed that Apple has started using a captcha on their Applecare "check coverage" website. I am just assuming these two things are related. So, assuming this is what is wrong, can anything be done to fix munkireport so that it can gather warranty info?

I just upgraded to version 2.6.0 today.

-Dave

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 20, 2015, 5:55:08 PM10/20/15
to munkire...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid there's not much we can do about that, apart from letting people enter warranty information manually. People with GSX access can get more information about warranty, but I am not one of those people.

-Arjen

Dave Paar

Oct 20, 2015, 6:06:28 PM10/20/15
to munkireport-dev
Understood. If a future update included a place to manually enter warranty info I would use it. Otherwise we can just put it into the comments widget I suppose.

Thanks,
Dave

Marnin Goldberg

Oct 20, 2015, 7:49:03 PM10/20/15
to munkire...@googlegroups.com
Two thoughts:

1.Use @mikeymikey pyMacWarranty script which is an estimation of the Applecare date. See: https://github.com/pudquick/pyMacWarranty

2. Add support for those who have GSX access which still has the ability to script lookups. See php based gsxlib: https://github.com/filipp/gsxlib

Marnin

Mike Solin

Oct 20, 2015, 11:06:31 PM10/20/15
to munkire...@googlegroups.com
I guess being able to enter it manually would be okay - I liked the automatic lookups, but it sucks that Apple’s doing this.  I can’t imagine it’s being abused enough to warrant the captcha.

I like Marnin’s ideas, too.  I have GSX access, too, and would use that.

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 21, 2015, 12:40:05 AM10/21/15
to munkire...@googlegroups.com
I don't have GSX access, so I won't be able to write it. Manual entry is also possible, but then munkireport becomes a cmdb ( which maybe it already is for some)

Sent from my iPhone

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 21, 2015, 1:24:32 AM10/21/15
On 21 Oct 2015, at 01:49, Marnin Goldberg <list...@gmail.com> wrote:

Two thoughts:

1.Use @mikeymikey pyMacWarranty script which is an estimation of the Applecare date. See: https://github.com/pudquick/pyMacWarranty

The same code is in Munkireport already. I can see the the use of setting the purchase date to the manufacture date, but adding 3 years automatically for the warranty may not be what you expect.

2. Add support for those who have GSX access which still has the ability to script lookups. See php based gsxlib: https://github.com/filipp/gsxlib

3. Add the possibility to enter the end date manually - Munkireport can calculate the start date using the manufacture date.

-Arjen

Marnin Goldberg

Oct 21, 2015, 7:14:54 AM10/21/15

On Oct 20, 2015, at 5:55 PM, A.E. van Bochoven <ne...@mac.com> wrote:

I'm afraid there's not much we can do about that, apart from letting people enter warranty information manually. People with GSX access can get more information about warranty, but I am not one of those people.

I don’t have GSX access either. Maybe someone with access is willing to see if they can code it up?

Marnin

Red Claw

Oct 29, 2015, 3:08:16 PM10/29/15
to munkireport-dev
What about calling Apple and working with them to see if there is an API that can be used?

We use another asset management tool for all our computer and computer peripherals. This other asset tool is required for our job, but it has no Macintosh support. For the Dells we can run a script on the local computers and those computers will get populated with most of the relevant information. We still need to manually key in the warranty info for the Dells, as well as manually entering all the information for other peripherals, (Wacom, printers, monitors, etc.)

I have also had problems looking up the warranty information manually from Apple's site. If I now go to the Apple Warranty lookup page and start entering in computers I can only do about 5 or 6 systems before the page indicates;
"We're Sorry
We're unable to complete your request. Please try again."
I then need to wait for a while before being able to use the warranty lookup again.