Munkistatus blocking login in install loop / Make minimizeable or disable?

L B

Dec 9, 2020, 9:17:58 AM12/9/20
to munki-discuss
Dear all,

we are using Munki for years now and are very satisfied with the overall experience. However one detail is bothering us some times. I case of an update gone wrong or a installation loop the MSC or more specific the Munkistatus on the login screen can prevent a user from logging in. E.g. we hat issues with a MacTex package not getting recognized as installed therefore for all users logged out Munkistatus blocked the login and started the installation over and over again. For logged in people this still happend, but the install loop was in the background not preventing the user from working. Is there maybe a way to disable Munkistatus or let the user minimize it to log in? The unattended installation on the login screen should still happen of course.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
L B

yevhenii...@dev.pro

Dec 9, 2020, 9:32:37 AM12/9/20
to munki-discuss
Hi all,

I also had same case few weeks ago. Munkistatus was blocked user from login because cant update Skype and Chrome by some reason. It was in loop of checking and trying to install software. I fixed it by loggin in safe mode with user and remove MSC(not all Munki package). The it was allow us to login in user's account.

Alan

Dec 9, 2020, 9:57:13 AM12/9/20
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
There's a key combination you can use to force-stop the Munki status window at the login screen: Cmd-Option-Shift-Escape

David Nelson

Dec 9, 2020, 12:13:48 PM12/9/20
to 'Gregory Neagle' via munki-discuss
Can't believe I wasn't aware of this. When I have a machine that gets stuck in a login loop (if there's not time to troubleshoot what's causing it right then and there) I just end up booting in safe mode to get out. But just pressing cmd-opt-shift-esc is much better. :)

L B

Dec 15, 2020, 9:41:53 AM12/15/20
to munki-discuss
Thats awesome. I wasn't aware of the combination, too. This is great and I can give this to an employee in an "emergancy". Still Is there another option to configure the munkistatus a little better?

Alan

Dec 15, 2020, 11:51:24 AM12/15/20
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
What are you looking for to be "better"? That key combo is essentially if you 1) don't want Munki to run right now, because you need to log in right now or 2) don't want Munki to run because it's on an install loop.

1) can be because it's literally not a good time. Maybe you don't want Munki to run at the login window at all. There's a Munki preference for that. I used to, for school lab computers, have a nopkg that set that preference during the school day and unset it before and after school, so updates could be installed without bothering students or preventing them from logging in.

2) is likely because you messed something up, so you need to figure out what you did wrong.