Munki - Change local admin password & keychain

James Knightley

Oct 25, 2016, 4:35:00 AM10/25/16
to munki-discuss
Morning All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I need to change the local admin password and keychain on our mac's due to our 180 day password change policy.

I am currently using Munki and the following command to change the password /usr/bin/dscl . -passwd /users/administrator XXXXXX

This command seems to update the password but leaves me with an keychain mismatch, so my questions is do you have a better way of doing this or can advise how to also update/delete the keychain ?

The devices have users profiles that need to remain so I cant just delete the keychain folder.

Kind Regards

James

Mr. Alan Siu

Oct 25, 2016, 10:58:55 AM10/25/16
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
This should help you out:

Another way you could do it, though, is to change the password on one machine and then package up the Keychains directory for that user and deploy it to the other machines.

Or, if you don't need the keychain itself, you can also delete the Keychains directory altogether for that user—one will be recreated when the user logs in.

Alan Siu
Client Systems Analyst
St. Ignatius College Preparatory

Gerd Niemetz

Oct 25, 2016, 11:06:15 AM10/25/16
to munki-discuss
Hi!

Maybe
security set-keychain-password -o {oldpwd} -p {newpwd} /Users/{UserShortNameHere}/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
can help, but use with care

best regards
Gerd

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 25, 2016, 2:38:06 PM10/25/16
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Changing the password with a script run by munki seems to be a very unsafe way to handle this. Anyone that can access the munki webserver will be able to read the cleartext password.

I think I would use Per Oloffson's createuserpkg to update the password.

Sent from my iPhone

Mr. Alan Siu

James Knightley

Oct 26, 2016, 10:39:37 AM10/26/16
to munki-discuss
Thanks for all the information, will have a play.