Question about bootstrap mode

Nico Bos

Jun 9, 2022, 9:54:58 PM6/9/22
to munki-discuss

Hi all,

We are trying to setup a workflow to deploy new Macs with as little manual steps as possible. Upon enrolling the Mac into Munki, most of the installation of apps is done using Munki bootstrapping. This works fine for most apps, but not for all.
A few pkgs fail if not running from within a Aqua user context.

When logging in as a user from loginwindow, the bootstrap mode however does not seem to work. So that's kind of a catch22.
So I am looking for a way to instantly envoke initial Munki run as soon as a standard user has logged in from loginwindow.
The most obvious way to go would be using a launchagent. However this does not work because of insufficient permissions.

So far, we envoke initial Munki run by sending this command from ARD:
sudo /usr/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate;sudo /user/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate --installonly
Alternative we could of course use Managed Software center.
Both methods requires manual action we would like to automate.

Does anyone have an idea how to address this?

Thanks in advance!

Nico Bos

Alan

Jun 9, 2022, 11:14:09 PM6/9/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Bootstrap mode is intended to run at the login window. So if you have some items that run properly only when a user is logged in, you may have to use an installcheck_script on those to basically say "If no user is logged in, consider this installed (exit 1)," and then check in another way to see if it's installed if a user is logged in.

You could then just wait until Munki runs in the background (every 1-2 hours roughly), or, if you're super in a rush, you could use an Outset login-privileged-once script to run /usr/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate --auto

I'd recommend against using /usr/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate --installonly, as that will disable any safety checks.

The --auto flag will both check for and install items in the background.

nico...@amac.nl

Jun 13, 2022, 5:58:17 AM6/13/22
to munki-discuss

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for pointing me to Outset. This was exactly what I needed. It works like a charm!

Nico Bos

Kris Lou

Jun 13, 2022, 1:59:07 PM6/13/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
A little late, but in the past I also used https://github.com/munki/bootstrappr to automate Munki installs (and a few other things) and kick off the bootstrap on new machines.

This might allow you to further eliminate even those pre-Munki manual steps involved in setting up new machines.