Munki update M1 Macbook

Süleyman Al.

Jul 19, 2022, 9:09:05 AM7/19/22
to munki-discuss
Hi, I am a dual student and have been given the task of updating the MacBooks equipped with the m1 on the munki. Some apps are not automatically updated because they have a m1 chip. I need to solve this problem, does anyone know a way how I can solve the problem ?
So that all macbooks that are in the company all have the same apps available and are up to date.

Alan

Jul 19, 2022, 9:33:19 AM7/19/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
I would start by updating from Munki 1.8.1 to the latest Munki.

But how do you know the apps aren't updating becuase of the M1 chip?

What are you seeing in the verbose output?

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 6:09 AM Süleyman Al. <suleyma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I am a dual student and have been given the task of updating the MacBooks equipped with the m1 on the munki. Some apps are not automatically updated because they have a m1 chip. I need to solve this problem, does anyone know a way how I can solve the problem ?
So that all macbooks that are in the company all have the same apps available and are up to date.

jakub staubr

Jul 19, 2022, 10:14:06 AM7/19/22
to munki-discuss
Hi,

some apps have universal .app and that can be used on intel and m1 and all is well.

The fun starts with the ones that have two separate binaries.
For example Mattermost. I had to create two conditions in the manifest that contains the apps.
arch LIKE "arm64"
arch LIKE "x86_64"

You can then choose one or the other condition to only display the app to the people with the right hardware.

Just make sure your app pkgs have different name. Something like "Application M1" and "Application Intel"

K.

Greg Neagle

Jul 19, 2022, 10:17:27 AM7/19/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 19, 2022, at 6:18 AM, jakub staubr <jakub....@gmail.com> wrote:
For example Mattermost. I had to create two conditions in the manifest that contains the apps.
arch LIKE "arm64"
arch LIKE "x86_64”

A much easier approach is described here: https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/FAQ#q-can-munki-install-a-certain-package-for-foosoftware-on-intel-macs-and-a-different-package-for-the-same-software-on-apple-silicon-macs

Same them the _same_ and set their supported_architectures as appropriate.

-Greg