Unnecessary 2nd download of staged macos installer

miq...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2023, 5:18:43 AM3/17/23
to munki-discuss
Hi,

I am testing a staged Ventura installation via MSC.

There is an unnecessary downloading of installer dmg happening, at least with my pkginfo.
If user cancels the update when it has been staged and then re-installs the upgrade munki downloads the installer-dmg again, even if the Install macOS Ventura.app is already in its place defined in the pkginfo.
I am using it as OnDemand and the installer is copied to /tmp/.
What may be causing this unnecessary download, is it OnDemand or non-standard location at /tmp? Or maybe the staged function skips the check if item is already there?

Here is my pkginfo:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<true/>
<key>_metadata</key>
<dict>
<key>created_by</key>
<string>admin</string>
<key>creation_date</key>
<date>2023-03-15T16:28:03Z</date>
<key>munki_version</key>
<string>6.1.0.4536</string>
<key>os_version</key>
<string>12.6.3</string>
</dict>
<key>allow_untrusted</key>
<true/>
<key>autoremove</key>
<false/>
<key>catalogs</key>
<array>
<string>testing</string>
</array>
<key>category</key>
<string>System Install</string>
<key>description</key>
<string>Downloads installer for macOS Ventura 13.2.1 Build 22D68.
&lt;/br&gt;&lt;/br&gt;
&lt;b&gt;Free Disk space needed for installation is 40 GigaBytes.&lt;/b&gt;
&lt;/br&gt;&lt;/br&gt;
&lt;b&gt;BEFORE INSTALLING THIS SYSTEM UPGRADE PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP OF ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!&lt;/b&gt;
&lt;/br&gt;&lt;/br&gt;
&lt;b&gt;BEFORE INSTALLING CONNECT LAPTOP TO POWER ADAPTER!&lt;/b&gt;
&lt;/br&gt;&lt;/br&gt;
</string>
<key>description_staged</key>
<string>Installs macOS Ventura 13.2.1 Build 22D68.</string>
<key>developer</key>
<string>Apple</string>
<key>display_name</key>
<string>Install macOS Ventura (STAGED)</string>
<key>display_name_staged</key>
<string>Install macOS Ventura</string>
<key>installed_size_staged</key>
<integer>15106134</integer>
<key>installer_item_hash</key>
<string>93c6afddd3c51cc2285508578cd0b58ff9ada0d370400ad63f5abc78ea14ec45</string>
<key>installer_item_location</key>
<string>https://oursupportserver.com/restore/macos_installers/Install_macOS_Ventura-13.2.1-22D68.dmg</string>
<key>installer_item_size</key>
<integer>12128652</integer>
<key>installer_type</key>
<string>stage_os_installer</string>
<key>installs</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.InstallAssistant.macOSVentura</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Install mac OS</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>18.2.02</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>18202</string>
<key>minosversion</key>
<string>10.12</string>
<key>path</key>
<string>/tmp/Install macOS Ventura.app</string>
<key>type</key>
<string>bundle</string>
<key>version_comparison_key</key>
<string>CFBundleShortVersionString</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>items_to_copy</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>destination_path</key>
<string>/tmp</string>
<key>source_item</key>
<string>Install macOS Ventura.app</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>minimum_munki_version</key>
<string>6.0.0</string>
<key>minimum_os_version</key>
<string>10.15</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>OD_Install_macOS_Ventura_STAGED</string>
<key>unattended_install</key>
<true/>
<key>unattended_uninstall</key>
<false/>
<key>uninstall_method</key>
<string>remove_copied_items</string>
<key>uninstallable</key>
<true/>
<key>version</key>
<string>13.2.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

br,
MiqViq

Vaughn Miller

Mar 17, 2023, 7:21:34 AM3/17/23
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
An OnDemand item does not check installation state, so I would expect it to re-download the irem every time.

Vaughn

Gregory Neagle

Mar 17, 2023, 7:37:58 AM3/17/23
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
A stage_os_installer item doesn’t know anything about an installer staged in /tmp. It is expecting the installer to be in /Applications.

Sent from my iPhone