SoftwareRepoURL displaying 'http://munki/repo' [MANAGED]

Antony Nelson

Nov 26, 2021, 4:40:50 AM11/26/21
to munki-discuss
Hi

I maintain a long established Munki set up but in the last few days something strange has happened to some of my client devices.

For long before my time the settings have been installed scripted to run the write plist command.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls SoftwareRepoURL -string "https://<correct URL here>/"

and indeed the affected machines show the appropriate setting when I run

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls SoftwareRepoURL

however the

managedsoftwareupdate --show-config

shows

                         SoftwareRepoURL: 'http://munki/repo' [MANAGED]

Which explains why the clients are unable to download from the server.

although others lines indicate that they have the correct settings taken from the plist file.

AppleSoftwareUpdatesOnly: False [/Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls.plist]

What could be causing this 'http://munki/repo' [MANAGED] setting?

It makes me think that it might be indicating that SoftwareRepoURL has been set by a profile. Although we have recently implemented an MDM I have yet to try and fix munki settings using a profile.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Ben Toms

Nov 26, 2021, 4:43:22 AM11/26/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, [MANAGED]  would indicate that a profile is forcing this setting.

Does an affected client have a file at: /Library/Managed Preferences/ManagedInstalls.plist

If so, that would also indicate that a profile has a payload for the ManagedInstalls domain

Regards,

Ben

Antony Nelson

Nov 26, 2021, 5:00:59 AM11/26/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for the response, your insight has helped identify my problem.

there is a file

/Library/Managed Preferences/ManagedInstalls.plist

and
% sudo defaults read /Library/Managed\ Preferences/ManagedInstalls SoftwareRepoURL

reveals its setting the errant SoftwareRepoURL

http://munki/repo

It appears that the MunkiSal profile I inherited (now installed via the MDM) is setting the SoftwareRepoURL incorrectly! (but not on all computers)

--
Antony Nelson