Adobe installation issues from the last week

Darren Wallace

Mar 18, 2021, 3:08:25 PM3/18/21
to munki-discuss
Hi folks,

There's been some (unclear) reports in the Mac Admins Slack #adobe channel that recently updated 2021 and 2020 versions of the applications are failing to install within Munki. It looks like Adobe has changed something again...

After some work with Elios, I learned that Munki runs specific code to install Adobe packages that works differently from a "normal" installer package. This is the value of "AdobeCCPInstaller" in the "installer_type" key in the pkginfo. Setting this value to be empty forces munki to run Adobe installers using the "normal" installer package behaviour.

I've spent much of this afternoon running through test deployments over the login window with the following results:
- XD (37.1.32.2) - Failed with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- XD (37.1.32.2) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- XD 2020 (33.1.12.4) Worked with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- XD 2020 (33.1.12.4) Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Media Encoder 2021 (15.0) - Failed with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Media Encoder 2021 (15.0) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Media Encoder 2020 (14.9) - Worked with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Media Encoder 2020 (14.9) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop 2021 (22.3.0) - Failed with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop 2021 (22.3.0) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop 2020 (21.2.6) - Failed with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop 2020 (21.2.6) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop uninstall 2021 (22.3.0) - Worked with 'AdobeCCPUninstaller' key set
- Photoshop uninstall 2021 (22.3.0) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop uninstall 2020 (21.2.6) - Worked with 'AdobeCCPUninstaller' key set
- Photoshop uninstall 2020 (21.2.6) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.10) - Worked with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.10) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop uninstall CC 2019 (20.0.10) - Worked with 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set
- Photoshop uninstall CC 2019 (20.0.10) - Worked withOUT 'AdobeCCPInstaller' key set

Based on the results of my (very limited) testing it looks like Adobe have made a change to the package/s produced that fail to work with the AdobeCCPInstaller method, but that work fine with the  "normal" installer package method. Again from my very limited testing, using the  "normal" installer package method for older Adobe installations also seems to still work.

Without access to a library of older installers, it's hard to tell exactly what versions of what applications are affected but the issue seems to have been first mentioned on Tuesday this week (March 16th).

At this point, I guess I'm asking if it would make sense to no longer default to this behaviour with Adobe imports?

I'm chucking this out for some second opinions and / or any testing data from others that could help this. For now, we (and others) can work around it as required by clearing the 'AdobeCCPUninstaller' value from the "installer_type" key in the pkginfo.

Thanks all

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

DATA JAR LTD is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 08750679. Registered office: 39 Sackville Road, Hove, East Sussex BN3 3WD

Ben Toms

Mar 18, 2021, 4:38:10 PM3/18/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
For an example, here are the changes made that seem to work; https://github.com/autopkg/dataJAR-recipes/blob/e3de7c630a49407a8a9c34a28efd626dcefa1d7d/Adobe%202021/Adobe%202021%20Import.munki.recipe#L79-L92

The want, is to see how we can fix this in "core", so folks directly importing don't hit the issue we're working around?

Regards,

Ben

Ben Toms

Mar 18, 2021, 4:46:13 PM3/18/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
--

Regards,

Ben

Franson, Chris

Mar 19, 2021, 2:00:10 PM3/19/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com

I’m not sure if this clouds this particular issue but uninstallation of Adobe products has issues as well.

The default import of a recent Adobe app sets a pimx file as the default “installs” item as in the example below:

<string>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/uninstallXml/AUDT_14_0_AdobeAudition14All_14.0.0.36.pimx</string>

However, current Adobe uninstall packages do not remove these files, leading to a loop unless the Installs item is manually changed to something else.

I’ve also found what might be a bug in Munki 5.2.3. I have separate packages for Adobe arm64 and X64 installers, using the same name. After updating the arm64 pkginfo to use the actual application for the installs array, Munki will still look at the X64 pkginfo which was referring to the pimx file in the installs array as referenced above. In both pkginfo files the supported_architecture key is set accordingly for each platform.

-Chris

Darren Wallace

Mar 19, 2021, 2:05:53 PM3/19/21
to munki-discuss
To me those both sound like separate issues and not related to this. This issue is about Adobe packages not running successfully.

We always build our own Installs arrays for Adobe products as the default installer package isn't helpful.
Not sure about the pkginfo issue but again this is not what you are describing there I'm afraid

Franson, Chris

Mar 19, 2021, 2:35:34 PM3/19/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com

These were mostly observations I’ve run into while doing the testing we’ve discussed in the Slack thread, so I’d agree that they’re not specifically the same issue but rather are a further illustration that the Adobe package handling in Munki isn’t really working as well as it has in the past.

Anthony Palina

Apr 14, 2021, 7:02:39 PM4/14/21
to munki-discuss
For what it's worth...

I have a support case in with Adobe right now because their latest batch of installers from March 2021 won't install at all at the login window. Even when using ARD because they "don't support Munki." So yes, Adobe went and changed something...again. I haven't had issues when a user is logged in, but that's not ideal at all in a lab setup.

Also, I've never used the Adobe Uninstaller pkg to remove items, due to the inconsistencies with the pimx files and versions after you update. I'm (still) using the old Desktop packager (in a Mojave VM) to get the uninstaller files from that and then run an uninstaller script including the binary and XML provided for each product uninstaller bundle. As long as they keep the newer versions in the uninstaller section of that old Desktop packager, I feel I'll be going that route until I can't.

Mike Solin

Sep 20, 2021, 5:26:29 PM9/20/21
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
I know this is an old thread, but I just created new Adobe installers a couple of weeks ago for ours Macs that use SDL licenses.

I've been seeing a fair number of "error 82" messages when installing via Munki, but rebooting seems to resolve the issue. All of these packages have installer_type set to AdobeCCPInstaller - I haven't tried removing installer_type to see if they're more successful, since rebooting seems to work.

Hopefully that means Adobe has fixed the issue since last March!