Installing prerequisites with differing system requirements?

flp.go...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2022, 8:30:03 PM3/31/22
to munki-discuss
I'm using Munki to install our print queues and I'm wondering how to best manage the installation of printer drivers for which I need different versions for different macOS releases.

I've read through the wiki and the discussion here as well as looking at the various sites which use Munki and have documented their experiences, but haven't seen the topic, but maybe I'm not looking for the correct concept.

Can the assembled wisdom here guide me on how to accomplish this?  My first thought is to set up multiple print queue packages, each with their own OS requirements and matching printer drivers, but it seems like this is the hard way to accomplish the task.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

Alan

Mar 31, 2022, 11:01:54 PM3/31/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
What does "print queue" mean in this context? You mean you're installing printers? If so, each printer would have its own pkginfo with its own OS requirements (do you have printers that work on only certain macOS versions?), but they could require the same printer driver (if they're the same printer model), so you would have only each unique set of printers drivers as items in your Munki repo—no need to duplicate.

flp.go...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2022, 6:52:08 PM4/5/22
to munki-discuss
I'm installing printers (about 20, many of them the same destination with unique settings like duplex, color, stapling, punching, etc) using a shell script embedded in a pkg which works on any version of macOS we support.  Our copiers have a different driver release for each version of macOS (10.15, 11, 12).

I'm trying to understand what would be the best or preferred method to ensure that the proper copier driver is installed as a prerequisite for installing the printers.

We will, for the foreseeable future, have to support a mix of OS versions, so I'd like to get this working, in some fashion.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

Alan

Apr 5, 2022, 6:56:38 PM4/5/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Import each of the driver releases using the same name but then use the minimum_os_version and maximum_os_version keys in the pkginfo files, so Munki will pick the appropriate one.

printer1 > requires vendor1_driver
printer2 > requires vendor1_driver
printer3 > requires vendor2_driver

vendor1_driver version 1 has minimum_os_version of 10.15 and maximum_os_version of 10.15.99

vendor1_driver version 2 has minimum_os_version of 11.0 and maximum_os_version of 11.99

vendor1_driver version 3 has minimum_os_version of 12.0

flp.go...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2022, 3:06:55 PM4/18/22
to munki-discuss
Alan,

Thanks for the info.  Finally got around to testing this but I think I didn't get something quite right.

Downloaded both drivers, up to 10.14 and 10.15+.  Set both as prereqs for the printer package, but Munki is reporting that it can't install the printers due the prereqs not being satisfied.  Here's the snippet of the MSC log:

Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400     Fitch_Printers-1.3 requires MX-C55-1.11.1.2. Getting info on MX-C55-1.11.1.2...
Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400 WARNING: Rejected item MX-C55, version 1.11.1.2 with maximum os version required 10.14.99. Our OS version is 12.3.
Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400 WARNING: Could not process item MX-C55-1.11.1.2 for install. No pkginfo found in catalogs: Production
Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400     Fitch_Printers-1.3 requires MX-C55-2.4.1.2. Getting info on MX-C55-2.4.1.2...
Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400     MX-C55 version 2.4.1.2 (or newer) is already installed.
Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400 WARNING: Didn't attempt to install Fitch_Printers because could not resolve all dependencies.

I'm not sure how to display what might be needed on the catalog/manifest side to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks for your assistance here.

Cheers,
Jon

Mike Solin

Apr 18, 2022, 3:24:35 PM4/18/22
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon -

Based on this line from the log:

Apr 18 2022 14:44:42 -0400 WARNING: Rejected item MX-C55, version 1.11.1.2 with maximum os version required 10.14.99. Our OS version is 12.3.

Your Munki item "MX-C55" has a maximum OS version set to 10.14.99. The OS you're running, 12.3, is higher than that, so you've told Munki not to install the item. Since it's required by another item that you've told Munki to install, it's warning you that it can't do as you've asked.

The solution would be to add a version of MX-C55 that works on macOS 12.3, or remove the maximum OS requirement that's currently set to 10.14.99.