Custom links in munki sidebar

Steve Küng

Sep 6, 2021, 2:26:08 PM9/6/21
to munki-dev
Hi,
I had an idea when I was playing around with Munki and Microsoft Intune.
if you use Munki together with a MDM like Microsoft Intune, it would be nice to add your own links in the sidebar. Or you want to integrate your support page into Munki.
That's why I added this feature to Munki:

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 18.58.58.png
Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 18.59.23.png
if someone wants to try it I have uploaded my change here:

The links are configured via the standard Munki configuration (ManagedInstalls.plist).

Key: NavigationLinks

Type: Array of objects

title: Text visible in the sidebar

icon: Icon visible in the sidebar. Possible values are NSImage names (e.g. NSSynchonize), path to an icon (e.g. /var/tmp/icon.png) or SF Symbol (macOS 11.0 or newer) (e.g. questionmark.circle.fill)

site: Link to the website

example:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls NavigationLinks -array '{ "title" = "Google"; "icon" = "NSSynchronize"; "site" = "https://google.ch"; }'

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls NavigationLinks -array-add '{ "title" = "Company Portal"; "icon" = "/var/tmp/microsoft2.png"; "site" = "https://portal.manage.microsoft.com"; }'

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls NavigationLinks -array-add '{ "title" = "Help"; "icon" = "questionmark.circle.fill"; "site" = "https://help.myorg.com"; }'

Gregory Neagle

Sep 6, 2021, 8:21:01 PM9/6/21
to munk...@googlegroups.com
How does this behave when there are no optional installs, especially against Munki5dev, which includes Christopher Grande’s changes?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 6, 2021, at 11:26 AM, Steve Küng <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
I had an idea when I was playing around with Munki and Microsoft Intune.
if you use Munki together with a MDM like Microsoft Intune, it would be nice to add your own links in the sidebar. Or you want to integrate your support page into Munki.
That's why I added this feature to Munki:

<Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 18.58.58.png>

<Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 18.59.23.png>

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group
<Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 18.59.23.png>
<Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 18.58.58.png>

Steve Küng

Sep 7, 2021, 2:23:07 AM9/7/21
to munki-dev
I wasn't aware of this
the current behaviour is that the sidebar is hidden even if custom links are configured.
I do not think that this is the preferred behaviour.
The sidebar should stay visible but only with the update and the custom links. I will try to improve this.

Steve Küng

Sep 7, 2021, 6:21:28 PM9/7/21
to munki-dev
the sidebar remains now visible when no optional items but custom links are configured.
is there an easy way to test the "aggressive notifications"?

Rob Renstrom

Sep 16, 2021, 8:06:59 PM9/16/21
to munki-dev

This is neat. I can think of some other potential uses for this feature. Particularly if you can use the munki URL protocol to open these custom sidebar items?   open munki://sidebar_link_title

For instance, this could open a Welcome page view, that's launched by a script after munkitools installs from MDM/DEP.

Another potential idea is for other types of custom notifications, such as page that directs users to enroll in MDM, replacing the need for something like Erik Gomez's UMAD.