Proposal: drop Catalina (10.15) and Big Sur (11) support in Munki 7.5.

55 views
Skip to first unread message

Gregory Neagle

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 5:11:25 PM (5 days ago) Oct 5
to munki-dev, munki-discuss
macOS 27 requires Xcode 27. In other words, you cannot run Xcode 26 on macOS 27.

Xcode 27 does not support deployment targets earlier than macOS 12. There are some undocumented/unsupported hacks you can do to get it to sometimes build thing with a deployment target of 10.15 (or 11) but these are not supported and might have subtle issues.

The GitHub automation that builds the official release packages still does (for now) run with macOS 26 and Xcode 26, and so I think it will be possible to finish the beta and release cycle of Munki 7.4 while keeping support for macOS 10.15 and macOS 11.

But the writing is on the wall for pre-macOS 12 support, and it will be harder and more annoying to keep working. So for Munki 7.5 I propose dropping support for macOS prior to version 12.

Munki 7.5 would support macOS major versions 12, 13, 14, 15, 26, and 27.

As recently as a year ago, I know there was at least one Munki admin supporting macOS 10.15 still. I hope his organization no longer has that need…
Please let me know if this change would prove problematic for your organization.

-Greg

Alan

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 5:39:59 PM (5 days ago) Oct 5
to munk...@googlegroups.com, munki-discuss
I support this. People still needing to deploy Munki to Catalina and Big Sur still have the option to use older versions of Munki until they can upgrade their fleets to later macOS versions, right?

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "munki-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to munki-dev+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/munki-dev/158E9069-B971-4E83-80A2-CB51DF261817%40mac.com.

Kevin M. Cox

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 5:46:46 PM (5 days ago) Oct 5
to munki-dev
No issues here.

~ Kevin

Vaughn Miller

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 5:47:13 PM (5 days ago) Oct 5
to munk...@googlegroups.com
I support this change.  I do have some older clients hanging around, and I agree with what Alan said. 

Vaughn 

m...@natewalck.com

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 6:09:11 PM (5 days ago) Oct 5
to munk...@googlegroups.com, munk...@googlegroups.com
I think supporting 6 versions of macOS is more than generous. Heck, I’d only do N-3 if it helped, but no need to prematurely axe support. 

Nate

On Oct 5, 2026, at 5:47 PM, Vaughn Miller <vemi...@gmail.com> wrote:



Miq Viq

unread,
Oct 6, 2026, 1:49:05 AM (5 days ago) Oct 6
to munk...@googlegroups.com
OK for dropping support for older than macOS 12.
It is not an issue in our org.
Supporters of legacy os versions will have the option to use older Munki versions.

-MiqViq


On 6. Oct 2026, at 1.09, me via munki-dev <munk...@googlegroups.com> wrote:


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages