Munki command line with both auto and verbose?

MiqViq

Sep 8, 2022, 12:36:51 PM9/8/22
to munki-dev
Hi,

is it possible to run munki from command line in auto mode but get full event output also?
I have not found it happening, using either with
managedsoftwareupdate -avvvv
or
managedsoftwareupdate -vvvv --auto.

Seems that munki goes to silent mode when it detects the auto option.

-MiqViq

Gregory Neagle

Sep 8, 2022, 12:39:07 PM9/8/22
to munki-dev
Not really. But you can `tail -f /Library/Managed\ Installs/Logs/ManagedSoftwareUpdate.log` while the `—auto` run is happening.

—auto is not intended for interactive use; it’s intended for background runs of managedsoftwareupdate.

-Greg

MiqViq

Sep 8, 2022, 12:59:25 PM9/8/22
to munki-dev
OK,

any chance that with some upcoming release of munki it would handle cli options this way:
if -v option is there then it would override the silence of that --auto mode?

Apple's softwareupdate has -i or --install option with sort of "verbose" mode.

-Miqviq

Nick McSpadden

Sep 8, 2022, 1:24:56 PM9/8/22
to munk...@googlegroups.com
To Greg's point, --auto is specifically _not_ intended for interactive use, so adding verbosity to it would go against its intent.

Unless you are specifically gating installs or other operations on the run type, there's nothing --auto does that's fundamentally different from doing a check + install run.

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Nick McSpadden
nmcsp...@gmail.com

Gregory Neagle

Sep 8, 2022, 1:31:39 PM9/8/22
to munki-dev
Again, —auto is not intended for regular, interactive use. I have no plans to allow for —verbose to be useful during an —auto run.

-Greg

Mike Solin

Sep 8, 2022, 4:37:47 PM9/8/22
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Running --auto is nice when you want to install something, but have blocking apps running (or have an item that requires a logout/restart). It's been a long time since I've tried it, but I don't think running a manual check/install would be successful in those scenarios.

Gregory Neagle

Sep 8, 2022, 4:39:53 PM9/8/22
to munki-dev
That depends on your definition of “successful”. What occurred would possibly be _different_, yes.

You can run  —auto if you’d like. It is not optimized for interactive use.

-Greg