How to completely uninstall

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 12:53:51 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
Hello,

I would like to completely uninstall munki and its website from a server runing server.app 3.2.2 and Mac OS 10.9.5
I want to uninstall it also from about 25 computers linked to this server.
I do not know this product at all because I didn't installed it but I want to get rid of it because I think it is slowing down the network.
I have seen many errors in the reports.
How can remove every file related to munki softwares on both server and clients without any risk for other services ?
I am not a very handy with terminal and command line. Is there an uninstaller software I could use ?
Is the uninstall going to remove some other softwares on clients computers ?

Thank you.

foigus

Oct 5, 2015, 1:03:40 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
No offense--but if you didn't install Munki on 25 computers plus configure the repo and add software to it, who did?  Possibly consult with them regarding the best course of action?

- Patrick

Matthew Sluiter

Oct 5, 2015, 1:04:24 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 5, 2015, 2:25:03 PM10/5/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
On 05 Oct 2015, at 18:52, pbe...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I would like to completely uninstall munki and its website from a server runing server.app 3.2.2 and Mac OS 10.9.5

Munki is just a static website on the server, you should be able to delete it.

I want to uninstall it also from about 25 computers linked to this server.
I do not know this product at all because I didn't installed it but I want to get rid of it because I think it is slowing down the network.

Slowing down the network in what way? Munki only checks once an hour and only does minimal queries.

I have seen many errors in the reports.

What reports are you looking at?

How can remove every file related to munki softwares on both server and clients without any risk for other services ?

Hard to tell without knowing your exact setup. The aforementioned link has instructions on cleaning up the client: https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Removing-Munki

I am not a very handy with terminal and command line. Is there an uninstaller software I could use ?

I could provide you with an uninstall package, but you would be better of creating your own (never trust someone else's package)

Is the uninstall going to remove some other softwares on clients computers ?

No it will not affect other software.

-Arjen

Thank you.

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 2:36:30 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
Thank you for replying.
I have seen that page and I understand that it is explaining how to remove Munki on the client side. Nothing is explained for the server side.
Is there some commands that I would need to run on the server to remove Munki on the server itself ?

Nick McSpadden

Oct 5, 2015, 2:38:53 PM10/5/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
There is no Munki server - it's just files being served by a web server. You can delete the repo out of your Apache (or other web server engine) DocumentRoot, and modify your Apache configs to remove any Virtualhosts or other configurations that were added.

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group
---

Nick McSpadden
nmcsp...@gmail.com

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 2:39:22 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
Huh … the guy who installed it is dead †
So it is quite difficult to ask him :-(

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 2:48:42 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
Ok but I can see at least five .plist files in Library/LaunchDaemons on the server :-)
So I guess there could be some other files elsewhere …
com.github.autopkg.autopkgserver.plist
com.googlecode.munki.logouthelper.plist
com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-check.plist
com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-install.plist
com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-manualcheck.plist

Nick McSpadden

Oct 5, 2015, 2:51:20 PM10/5/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Technically speaking, these files are all client files:
com.googlecode.munki.logouthelper.plist
com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-check.plist
com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-install.plist
com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-manualcheck.plist

Those are the same launch daemons you'll find on any client with Munkitools installed.

com.github.autopkg.autopkgserver.plist is installed by AutoPkg, which is not directly related to Munki.

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 5, 2015, 2:51:24 PM10/5/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
So the server is also a munki client, you can clean up the server the same way as the client.

-Arjen

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 2:54:37 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
… I can also see 4 more plist files in Library/LaunchAgent and some folders like "Managed Installs", "Managed Preferences" on the server …
How can I be sure to remove everything ?

Gregory Neagle

Oct 5, 2015, 2:54:54 PM10/5/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Are you really sure you want to remove tools that automatically get updates for vendor software and install them on all your machines? What will you do in their place? Do you plan on just walking around and manually maintaining the 25 computers?

-Greg

as...@siprep.org

Oct 5, 2015, 3:03:24 PM10/5/15
to munki-dev
If you paste in the commands from the link Matthew Sluiter posted earlier, all that stuff goes away:

I know you said you're not great with the terminal, but you can copy and paste the commands. Here is how one is broken down:

sudo rm -f /Library/LaunchAgents/com.googlecode.munki.*

sudo means with escalated administrator privileges
rm means remove
-f means make the remove a forced removal
* is a wildcard, so it will get all the files in /Library/LaunchAgents that start with com.googlecode.munki.

Are you 100% sure Munki is what is slowing down your network, though?

What are the errors you're seeing, and what reporting tool are you using to see these errors?

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 12:59:04 AM10/6/15
to munki-dev
:-) Yes I am sure.

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 1:11:09 AM10/6/15
to munki-dev
I see that kind of errors in the munki web server log but for some clients (not all), there are entries every 2 or 3 seconds …
But I do not want to correct this. I just want to remove everything.
May be I will come back to munki later but for now, I have to check many other things on this network that I do not want processes running that I do not have hands on.

[Mon Oct 05 12:31:37 2015] [error] [client 192.168.1.39] Certificate Verification: Error (20): unable to get local issuer certificate
[Mon Oct 05 12:31:37 2015] [error] [client 192.168.1.39] Re-negotiation handshake failed: Not accepted by client!?
[Mon Oct 05 12:15:02 2015] [error] [client 192.168.1.251] File does not exist: /Volumes/DataHD/Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default/repo
[Mon Oct 05 12:56:23 2015] [error] [client 192.168.1.250] File does not exist: /Volumes/DataHD/Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default/repo

pbe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 1:15:24 AM10/6/15
to munki-dev
Or may be there is a command that I could run to stop (or suspend) the munki service ?

A.E. van Bochoven

Oct 6, 2015, 1:21:26 AM10/6/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Stop the webserver

Sent from my iPhone

Miq Viq

Oct 6, 2015, 6:30:44 AM10/6/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
You can also stop the automatic checkups for Munki from the client itself:

sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.googlecode.munki.managedsoftwareupdate-check.plist

After that munki client will not generate any network traffic by itself (unless someone launches MSC.app).

(it may still be that there are some other automated tasks on your Mac clients that are generating excess load on your network)

If you have Apple Remote Desktop app on your managing Mac use it to send that command.
And the clients need to have ARD access enabled too.

-MiqViq

as...@siprep.org

Oct 6, 2015, 11:52:20 AM10/6/15
to munki-dev
Considering you are concerned about breaking anything else on the server, OP, I would highly recommend MiqViq's course of action.

The Munki server doesn't do anything except host some files on Apache. Unless the Munki clients check in with the server, disabling things on the server (if you don't know what you're doing) may, in fact, interfere with other services you're hosting there (and it sounds as if you are hosting other things there).

Joaquin Cabrerizo Egea

Oct 6, 2015, 4:11:31 PM10/6/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
You can stop the automated checkups for Munki with Munki...

Enviado desde mi iPhone