Can't clear out old munki client config settings

Christopher Johnson

Feb 8, 2014, 1:09:46 AM2/8/14
to munk...@googlegroups.com
We've recently migrated from a munki server setup which included an internal Apple SUS server to one which allowed clients to check with Apple Software Update servers directly. The second setup is housed on a separate server. Several of our clients are not receiving Apple updates because they are still pointing to the old internal Apple SUS location, even after complete removal of all munki client files and reinstallation. Despite writing various values to com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist for CatalogURL -- munki clients still point back to the old internal SUS server. The values seem to be cached somewhere, but I cannot locate them. I've tried removing com.apple.SoftwareUpdate from /Library/Preferences/ and /var/root/Library/Preferences... but no luck. I have not set any values using MCX.

Also, the client keeps looking for a manifest that doesn't exist -- and fails with a 404 error -- not looking for a site_default.

Is there some way I can globally reset the preferences for Apple Software Updates and the munki client settings? Reinstall of all munki components doesn't seem to have any effect.

Samuel Keeley

Feb 8, 2014, 5:54:46 PM2/8/14
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Did you set the Apple software repo URL in ManagedInstalls.plist?

What munki version are you running?

What do your logs look like?

Sent from my iPhone

scottlep

Feb 11, 2014, 1:48:15 PM2/11/14
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Whenever I change the manifest for a client I always trash the entire /Library/Managed Installs folder from the client machine. This helps to "reset" Munki and force it to use the new ManagedInstalls.plist info without a restart.

~Scott

Mike Doe

Apr 22, 2015, 2:29:19 AM4/22/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Hi did anyone ever solve this. I've tried removing the managed installs folder, repushing my settings but as soon as the managed software centre completes its first check the file is reset to the old address.

Gregory Neagle

Apr 22, 2015, 9:33:16 AM4/22/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 21, 2015, at 11:27 PM, Mike Doe <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi did anyone ever solve this. I've tried removing the managed installs folder, repushing my settings but as soon as the managed software centre completes its first check the file is reset to the old address.

You’ll need to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to do, what you are expecting, and what you are actually seeing.

Managing preferences on OS X has gotten much trickier since the debut of cfprefsd. You can’t just replace preferences files and expect things to work.

You may also want to review:
and the MacEnterprise thread on cfprefsd here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/macenterprise/YgJnfqpyKNs/m33xByJif54J

-Greg

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 5:09:46 PM UTC+11, Christopher Johnson wrote:
[...]

Mike Doe

Jun 4, 2015, 6:56:43 PM6/4/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for getting back to me. Its ok I found my issue there was a mistake in the initial config, however after it runs its also writes to...  /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/ManagedInstalls  from here all changes i made would get over written with the setting from this file after the managed software centre runs the update process.

maybe not the best way but i just changed my script to write to both files and its been fine ever since..