Report - Infogagement: Citizenship and Democracy in the Age of Connection - PACEfunders.org

Steven Clift

Sep 12, 2014, 9:48:03 AM9/12/14
to CAR...@listserv.louisville.edu, ai...@listserv.aoir.org, appam-l, arnova-l, cirese...@vancouvercommunity.net, apsa...@lists.hmdc.harvard.edu, mun...@googlegroups.com, netti...@nettime.org, cma-l, col...@comm-org.wisc.edu
A very interesting report at the intersection of open government/civic
tech, democratic participation/inclusion, and journalism. Rare to see
a bridge between these these three themes all at once. I wonder how
the foundations that commissioned this work will react?? - Steven
Clift, http://stevenclift.com

Direct download:
http://bit.ly/infogagementPDF

More Info:
http://www.pacefunders.org

Discuss - A mini-book club discussion with the report author here -
starting now on 2,000 member Open Gov and Civic Tech FB Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/opengovgroup/permalink/1531011100463814/

PACE RELEASES NEW WHITE PAPER, 'INFOGAGEMENT: CITIZENSHIP AND
DEMOCRACY IN THE AGE OF CONNECTION'

PACE has released a new white paper, 'Infogagement: Citizenship and
Democracy in the Age of Connection'.

The paper grew out of our 'Information and Engagement Project', a two
year conversation at PACE that involved multiple convenings across the
country and dozens of interviews with leading thinkers and
practitioners in the fields of journalism, civic technology and public
engagement. In these conversations we explored how new and old forms
of information delivery could encourage more civic engagement,
particularly among previously disengaged populations.

What we discovered was a complex set of cause and effect relationships
that creates an image of public life 'that has become something more
like a Jackson Pollock painting'.

The project was ably directed by, and the paper was written by, Matt
Leighninger, the Executive Director of the Deliberative Democracy
Consortium (DDC). The effort was financially supported by PACE members
the Rita Allen Foundation, the Case Foundation, the John S. and James
L. Knight Foundation and the Rockefeller Brothers Fund. The paper is
available as a free pdf download at the PACE website.

Direct download:
http://bit.ly/infogagementPDF

Discuss via Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/opengovgroup/permalink/1531011100463814/

Clift Comment:

I was excited to see a couple quotations pulled from my review of the
PewInternet survey that exposed in my view the need for a much more
concerted "New Voices" campaign in the open gov/civic tech field.

More http://bit.ly/pewcivic http://e-democracy.org/newvoicesvideo
http://e-democracy.org/learn

And congrats Matt Leighninger for your work on this report. Matt is
also an E-Democracy.org Board member and adviser.

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/democracy
Tel/Text: +1.612.234.7072