Fonts on Linux

Angelos Christodoulou

Mar 20, 2014, 7:27:40 AM3/20/14
to multisoft...@googlegroups.com

Any ideas on fonts?

Trying to look at changing our Linux version from Gentoo to Ubuntu and we get the scenario below. We get the same results when trying to run on a Virtual Gentoo setup

Wrote the most basic display of fonts that I could & it would seem that it does not “listen to the setting for a font change to Helvetica”

The snapshot below on LHS is the source code, RHS one is what the screen looks like when the app runs

Although we are telling the app to change to Helvetica pointsize 24 it looks as if it remains in the original font setting – albeit that in the info-box it thinks it is displaying the Helvetica font.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Paul

Mar 22, 2014, 8:12:36 AM3/22/14
to multisoft...@googlegroups.com
Most probably, you have not installed scalable (.ttf) fonts. Check by "xlsfonts | grep -i courier" and "xlsfonts | grep -i helvetica". For bold font type, you need installed such a type too (in addition to "medium" type), you should see it with the above "xlsfonts". If the specified font is not available, the default (or "Helvetica") font is used, see the FlagShip manual (section OBJ.Font) for details. You may download ttf fonts for Linux e.g. from http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

Paul

Angelos Christodoulou

Mar 24, 2014, 4:31:36 AM3/24/14
to multisoft...@googlegroups.com

Hi Paul

Thanks for the response!

Using kfontviewer & I called Helvetica Bold 35 – Got the screen shot below

It looks as my basic application “can’t find” the fonts – Do I need to define a path where the fonts are installed?

Or is the location for the fonts listed below incorrect?

cid:image005.png@01CF4749.A1BB11D0

Angelos Christodoulou

Web: www.accpick.co.za

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

No virus found in this message.

image001.png
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg

Paul

Dec 6, 2017, 10:07:09 AM12/6/17
to multisoft...@googlegroups.com
If you install fonts manually, you need to execute

  cd /directory_with_your_ttf_fonts      ## e.g.: cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts
  sudo mkfontscale && mkfontdir && xset +fp `pwd`

Further details are in FlagShip on-line manual section REL.8 and in Linux manual "man xset". Then update the cache by "sudo fc-cache -fv". You also may need to check "xlsfonts" as advised in my previous posting.

Paul