Concurrently open DBFIDX from different applications

Juan José 'Peco' San Martín

Oct 10, 2012, 7:05:07 AM10/10/12
to multisoft...@googlegroups.com
Hello all.

We are looking at ways we can make our application work in a distributed manner. Currently each "user" has its own (copy of the) application and its own DB files.

We could share the database files over the network (VPN) but ...
is it possible to open the same database (DBFIDX) by different applications at the same time? How?
Share the application itself (virtual desktop) is not an option due the lack of performance.
Are we forced to explore the possibility of changing the DBFIDX (based on RDD) to Mysql?
Could anyone share their experience with the use of an RDD?

Many thanks
Peco

Paul

Nov 8, 2017, 11:31:10 AM11/8/17
to multisoft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peco,

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:08:50 PM UTC+2, Peco wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> We are looking at ways we can make our application work in a distributed
> manner. Currently each "user" has its own (copy of the) application and its
> own DB files.
>
> We could share the database files over the network (VPN) but ... is it
> possible to open the same database (DBFIDX) by different applications at
> the same time? How?

Of course, you can share the same database (and associated indices) by
different users and/or applications.
What you need is to open the database in shared mode, either SET EXCLUSIVE
OFF or USE myDatabase SHARED. The shared database (and indices) must of
course be accessible by your VPN.

> Share the application itself (virtual desktop) is not an option due the
> lack of performance.
> Are we forced to explore the possibility of changing the DBFIDX (based on
> RDD) to Mysql?

In http://www.fship.com/rdds.html there are RDDs for MySQL available.

Message has been deleted