Any chance of having longer unique variable names?

Dan Campbell

Feb 27, 2017, 5:42:40 AM2/27/17
to multisoft FlagShip
I like to use long descriptive variable names, with a type prefix.

How deeply is the variable name length embedded, in the Flaship compiler codebase?  Would it be a major change, to allow 32 byte unique variable names?

I know you can use longer variable names, but Flagship will only use the first 8 bytes, I think.

Is this correct?

JanB

Feb 27, 2017, 7:15:07 AM2/27/17
to multisoft FlagShip
Hi Dan,

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2017 11:42:40 UTC+1 schrieb Dan Campbell:
I like to use long descriptive variable names, with a type prefix.

How deeply is the variable name length embedded, in the Flaship compiler codebase?

As with any xBase language (FlagShip, dBase, Clipper, Foxbase, Foxpro), variable name can be of any length, but only the first 10 characters are significant. The case (upper/lower/mixed) is irrelevant. Detailed description is available in the manual chapter LNG 2.6 and 2.1.

Would it be a major change, to allow 32 byte unique variable names?

This will break all backward sources compatibility.

I know you can use longer variable names, but Flagship will only use the first 8 bytes, I think.Is this correct?

No, see above.

Dan Campbell

Feb 28, 2017, 3:05:06 AM2/28/17
to multisoft FlagShip
"This will break all backward sources compatibility."

Yep, I understand.  I guess I was hoping it could be done with a switch, but the default would be the legacy mode.

Anyway, as an alternative to prefixing variables, I can always affix them.

Alright, thanks. Am.