MultiMarkdown QuickLook Generators

flet...@fletcherpenney.net

Feb 26, 2011, 9:58:21 AM2/26/11

MultiMarkdown QuickLook Generators

02/26/2011 09:53:46

For anyone using MultiMarkdown with Mac OS X, I have released two QuickLook generators — one for text files, and one for OPML files that contain MultiMarkdown text.

These generators are installed in ~/Library/QuickLook. After installing them, you should log out and log back in to trigger a refresh.

I just released the “official” versions; I had released unofficial versions the other day. There’s no real difference, but they are now built off of my github project (which is a fork from the original qlmarkdown) and are slightly more polished behind the scenes.

https://github.com/fletcher/qlmultimarkdown/downloads

http://fletcherpenney.net/2011/02/multimarkdown_quicklook_generators.html

Joshua

Mar 8, 2011, 9:50:32 AM3/8/11
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
Hi,

Swedish characters don't seem to be rendered correctly by the
QuickLook generator unless "swedish" is specifically mentioned in the
meta data at the start of the document.

This normally wouldn't be a problem, but most of my documents are
actually written in English and just mention Swedish names once or
twice in the document. In this case I want English formatting of
quotation marks etc. while keeping the ability to correctly render the
Swedish letters (ä, ö, å). Therefore I can't just change the meta data
for all my documents to specify Swedish.

Actually, this seems to only be a problem with the QuickLook
generators. The drag-and-drop "MultiMarkdown2XHTML" app on Mac renders
Swedish letters just fine even if I haven't specified Swedish in the
meta data.

Also, I am wondering if MMD supports the use of relative paths for
images, i.e. "images/abc.gif" instead of "file:/Users/joshua/text/
images/abc.gif"? This doesn't seem to work with any of the MMD
renderers or QuickLook, but it works just fine within emacs when I
enable the "show inline images" option for Markdown (iimage minor
mode).

If it's not supported, this would be a great feature to have as I
share my files among different machines, so the absolute path changes
quite often, but the relative directory structure is always the same.

Thanks,
Joshua

Fletcher Penney

Mar 8, 2011, 9:59:16 AM3/8/11
to Joshua, MultiMarkdown Discussion List
The difference is likely that between "snippets" and complete documents.

Unicode characters will not be rendered correctly without the proper
configuration of the XHTML to tell the browser/viewer to use unicode
properly.

If you add certain metadata(e.g. a title) it should trigger a complete document.

Send me a sample I can look into it if that doesn't fix.

Apple's quick look preview doesn't look for images anywhere, so images
don't work in quick look. If anyone knows how to fix this I would
appreciate it, but I don't plan on writing a lot of cocoa code just to
get images to work. If you really need images, you'll have to convert
to xhtml and then use the native quick look renderer on the html file,
which does support images.

F-

Sent from my iPad

Joshua

Mar 8, 2011, 12:03:31 PM3/8/11
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
Thanks for your quick reply.

Both issues are now resolved.

Adding title metadata to my document fixed the Unicode issues even
without me specifying a language. So, yes it seems to be a snippet vs.
complete document issue.

Thank you for the additional info about the limitations of displaying
images in QuickLook.
I had originally assumed that it was a problem with writing relative
vs. absolute image paths, but after further testing that turns out not
to be the case. Your suggestion of converting to html and then
previewing with the html QuickLook renderer works perfectly.

Joshua