Footnote inside figure caption causes LaTeX error

Tore Haug-Warberg

Nov 23, 2016, 10:51:00 AM11/23/16
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
What I tried  was something like this:

![ [ <label> ][] ]( <file> "")

The error message generated from LaTeX was:

! Argument of \caption@ydblarg has an extra }.

This is a well-known problem in the LaTeX community, see e.g.:

The fix should not be too hard, but since I do not sit on top of the code I should be very careful making suggestive statements.

Fletcher T. Penney

Nov 23, 2016, 10:58:33 AM11/23/16
to Tore Haug-Warberg, MultiMarkdown Discussion List
Can you send me a real example of what you're trying to do? The
description in your subject line doesn't seem to match what you sent, so
I'm having trouble visualizing what's going on.

Thanks!

Fletcher
> --

Fletcher T. Penney
fletche...@gmail.com

Tore Haug-Warberg

Nov 23, 2016, 11:54:03 AM11/23/16
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
I should make myself more clear. Here is a real example. The first line is meta data:

[linktext]: <file>.html

Main text
Main text

![Caption text [linktext][] more caption text](<file>.jpg "")

more main text
more main text

It is the link inside the caption that is causing the problem. The reason is that it ends up as a footnote in the .tex file. My understanding is that footnotes need to be protected inside a caption.

Fletcher T. Penney

Dec 1, 2016, 9:03:50 AM12/1/16
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
I understand.

I'll have to look into this, but it's a lower priority than many other
things for me at the moment in terms of MMD features/fixes.

It's true that the MMD syntax and parser accepts arbitrarily complex
nexted brackets (e.g. links within captions, etc.), but that doesn't
mean they are a good idea, or that they will work in all output formats.

F-