LaTeX output for citations: ~\citep but \citet (i.e. no ~)

Shane Ebert

Mar 9, 2014, 6:39:53 PM3/9/14
to multim...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  I was just wondering if anyone knows why the choice was made to have [#citekey]  => ~\citep{citekey} (i.e. with ~) but [#citekey;]  => \citet{citekey} (i.e. no ~). This has the effect that I must type the former citations with no space between the citation and the previous text (to avoid having essentially two spaces in the output), but with the latter, I can add a space between the citation and the accompanying text. I assume it has to do with the effect of the non-breaking space (i.e. the ~), but I don't know what benefit that would have in the context of citations.

It's a small detail, but I would prefer to have a space between the previous word and my citations in the raw text, as that's how it comes out in the output, making the multimarkdown look more natural to me with the space.

Is there a way to change this behavior without doing a search and replace on the LaTeX output before compiling it?

Thanks,
Shane...

Fletcher T. Penney

Mar 9, 2014, 6:49:25 PM3/9/14
to Shane Ebert, multim...@googlegroups.com
1. BibTeX is far more complex than MMD will ever be. This is right and
good. Not every scenario can be accounted for.

2. In general, when you use \citep you get an endnote marker (e.g.
"[1]"). These should not start a brand new line, hence the non-breaking
space.

3. If you're using \citet, the citation will be inserted as text (e.g.
author's name), and it doesn't matter if this starts a new line, hence
the abscence of the non-breaking space.

As for changing the behavior, it's open source. You can make it do
whatever you want. ;)

F-
> --

Fletcher T. Penney
fletche...@gmail.com

Shane Ebert

Mar 9, 2014, 7:01:38 PM3/9/14
to multim...@googlegroups.com, Shane Ebert
Thanks for the quick response.  As to you're points:

1: I definitely agree that multimarkdown should be kept simple, as that really is the point in many ways.

2: Ah, I see you're point.  I don't use that kind of reference most of the time.  Rather, I use something like (Smith, 2008), where line breaks are much less of a concern.

3: I see what you mean about being open source.  My intention wasn't to suggest any changes to the underlying code to accommodate such a niche issue.  I was just wondering if I was missing another way to tweak the LaTeX output (or how it is produced) beyond doing a search and replace. If not, running sed or something isn't such a bad option. Mostly curious for workflow options.

Thanks again.

Fletcher T. Penney

Mar 9, 2014, 7:03:06 PM3/9/14
to multim...@googlegroups.com
Changing the source for a simple substitution like this would be easy,
and then you wouldn't have to worry about sed/etc. But whichever way is
easiest for you is the way to go.

F-

On 3/9/14 7:01 PM, Shane Ebert wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response. As to you're points:
>
> 1: I definitely agree that multimarkdown should be kept simple, as that
> really is the point in many ways.
>
> 2: Ah, I see you're point. I don't use that kind of reference most of
> the time. Rather, I use something like (Smith, 2008), where line breaks
> are much less of a concern.
>
> 3: I see what you mean about being open source. My intention wasn't to
> suggest any changes to the underlying code to accommodate such a niche
> issue. I was just wondering if I was missing another way to tweak the
> LaTeX output (or how it is produced) beyond doing a search and replace.
> If not, running sed or something isn't such a bad option. Mostly curious
> for workflow options.
>
> Thanks again.

Karl Becker

Feb 4, 2017, 9:04:54 PM2/4/17
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
Where would you change this behaviour in the source?

Fletcher T. Penney

Feb 4, 2017, 9:05:43 PM2/4/17
to Karl Becker, MultiMarkdown Discussion List
Just search the source code for "citet" or "citep" or whatever it is you
want to change.

FTP

Moacir

Feb 5, 2017, 11:03:26 AM2/5/17
to multim...@googlegroups.com
Incidentally, I get around my dissatisfaction w/ \citep and \citet by
having this at the top of my documents:

<!--
  \newcommand{\citep}[2][]{\pnotecite[#1]{#2}} % Parenthetical: [page][#Citekey]
  \newcommand{\citet}[2][]{\autocite[#1]{#2}} % Textual, so footnote here: [page][#Citekey;]
-->

This maybe breaks any number of rules for some of you, but it works for
me. The commands are for BibLaTeX (Chicago). Instead of fussing w/ the
source code, I just redefine the two commands on a document-by-document
basis, as I don’t even need that functionality always.

--m

--
  Moacir