Math: \\[ not working for epub, $$ not working for pdf (using pandoc)

Ben Watson

Mar 28, 2017, 9:17:17 AM3/28/17
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
I'm struggling to make math equations work consistently across formats using the specified mechanisms.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My process:
* Write in Scrivener
* Export to mmd
* Export to tex
* Use pandoc to convert mmd to epub
* Use pandoc to convert tex to pdf

It mostly works, but I can't get the math syntax to work for both.

This works for epub: $$\frac{P}{100}{N}$$

This works for pdf: \\[ \frac{P}{100}{N} \\]

What can I do to get a single format to work for both?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Ben

Fletcher T. Penney

Mar 28, 2017, 9:27:24 AM3/28/17
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
I can't help you with pandoc -- you'll have to talk to John MacFarlane
about that.

This list is for MultiMarkdown. Pandoc includes *some* support for MMD,
but it is not MMD. I can't speak to how well it implements those features.

As for MMD, v 6 has been released which simplifies EPUB creation from MMD:

multimarkdown -b -t epub file.md

<https://github.com/fletcher/MultiMarkdown-6>

It includes a test suite of files that demonstrate all (I think) of the
features of MMD-6, including Math.

**NOTE** There are a few differences between MMD-5 and MMD-6. The are
discussed in the QuickStart guide.

If you're on macOS, and looking for drag and drop simplicity to convert
MMD to other formats (including EPUB), I just released an app to the App
Store -- MMD Converter. It uses the same MMD engine as the open-source
software, but makes it easier to use. If you prefer the command-line,
then you don't need it.

Fletcher
> --

Fletcher T. Penney
fletche...@gmail.com

Ben Watson

Apr 2, 2017, 11:36:01 AM4/2/17
to MultiMarkdown Discussion List
Thanks for the response. I'm still learning my way through these tools and it's sometimes hard to discern where one tool stop and another starts. I'm understanding more now, though.