Reg protocol field in config.

krishna.k...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2020, 12:04:52 PM3/6/20
to Multicast Proxy
Hi Sebastian,
                      What is the use of the "protocol " keyword in the config. The reason i am asking is that i see that independent of whether i config "protocol IGMPv2" or "protocol IGMPv3", the proxy always sends v3 queries only. Can you please help me clarify this?

Thanks
Krishna

Sebastian Woelke

Mar 15, 2020, 10:37:10 AM3/15/20
to Multicast Proxy
Hello Krishna,

You should only use protocol MLDv2 or protocol IGMPv3.

You can configure protocol IGMPv2 but this will only maps internally back to IGMPv3.
This is due to Mcproxy supports IGMPv2 hosts anyway because IGMPv3 is fully backward compatible to IGMPv2.

In retrospective this looks to me like a sloppy design choose of mine, a proper error message would have been much better.
I'm sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Krishna Chaitanya Kolakaluri

Mar 15, 2020, 3:34:51 PM3/15/20
to multica...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,
                     Thank you very much for your response. I understand that mcproxy supports igmpv2 since its backwards compatible, however in my testing, if the host is igmpv2 only, then they don't respond to igmpv3 queries. This was observed with MacBooks only. I tested out a fix in mcproxy to send v1/v2/v3 query, based on the configuration and that helped with macbook responding to igmp queries.

-Krishna

krishna.k...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2020, 2:47:45 AM3/17/20
to Multicast Proxy