mcproxy: Dynamically reconfiguring mcproxy.

Krishna Kolakaluri

Oct 25, 2019, 8:48:37 PM10/25/19
to Multicast Proxy
Hi,
     How can one reconfigure mcproxy dynamically after an instance has been started ? Will modifying the configuration file trigger the daemon to pick up the new configuration. On the github page it says the following:

"The Mcproxy meets the requirements of the IGMP/MLD proxying standard (RFC 4605) and has additional functionalities. The multicast proxy can be instantiated multiple times, is dynamically configurable at runtime, supports multiple upstreams and peering-interfaces for a non hierarchical interconnection of multicast proxies."

But i dont see any information how to reconfigure it dynamically.  Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Krishna

Sebastian Woelke

Oct 29, 2019, 4:08:33 PM10/29/19
to Multicast Proxy
Hi Krishna,

technically the proxy is dynamically configurable, but unfortunately it does not provide an external API.
Let me explain:
We implemented Mcproxy for a research project. It was required that the proxy detects when a preconfigured network interface gets up or down. In such cases, it had to remove the network interface and related subscriptions from the multicast routing table. That is why we described it as dynamically configurable at runtime.

All features like adding or removing an interface or a proxy instance are available but they are not accessible from the outside. :(

Best regards
Sebastian

Krishna Kolakaluri

Oct 30, 2019, 2:17:26 PM10/30/19
to Multicast Proxy
Hi Sebastian,
                    Thank you for the clarification, that helps a lot with my understanding and matches my expectation after reading the code.