Native Ada network questions + MirageOs/Solo5 setup remark

Olivier Henley

Jan 17, 2018, 6:18:44 PM1/17/18
to muen-dev
Hi,

First thx for bringing Muen to life.

I have 2 question and 1 remark:

q1. What is missing (drivers, components etc) to be able to run a complete Ada web server natively over Muen ?

q2. What is missing to use Muen as the basis for a router using only Ada native subjects?

r1. On your main site we can read the following: This page is served by a MirageOS/Solo5 TLS unikernel running on Muen. It would be great to have some leads on how to recreate such server. I checked MirageOs, Solo5 etc but fail to connect the dots.

In the hope that my questions are not too naive...

Thx,

Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger

Jan 18, 2018, 10:39:15 AM1/18/18
to muen...@googlegroups.com
Hello Olivier,

Welcome to the list!

On 01/18/2018 12:18 AM, Olivier Henley wrote:
> q1. What is missing (drivers, components etc) to be able to run a complete
> Ada web server natively over Muen ?

Currently, we use Linux subjects for driver support. The muennet [1]
kernel module can be used to provide networking services for other
subjects via shared memory channels.

In terms of Ada implementations: we have PS/2 and xHCI debug capability
drivers but no ethernet/network card support.

If by Ada web server you mean AWS [2] then a fully featured Ada runtime
would be required. Currently, we have only implemented a minimal
zero-footprint runtime which has no support for tasking etc.
Also, there is the question of the AWS dependencies which may pull in a
whole slew of third-party libraries (TLS library, etc). I suspect that
getting AWS to run as a subject directly on Muen would be quite some work.

> q2. What is missing to use Muen as the basis for a router using only Ada
> native subjects?

It depends on what functionality you expect from such a router. In terms
of native components you would first need a network driver, as mentioned
above. Then you would need a packet filter/router component that
forwards network packets to the correct interfaces. Maybe one could
re-use parts of the network stack which was developed during the course
of last years Make-with-Ada competition [3].

> r1. On your main site we can read the following: This page is served by a
> MirageOS <https://mirage.io/>/Solo5 <https://github.com/Solo5/solo5> TLS
> unikernel <https://github.com/mirage/mirage-skeleton> running on Muen. It
> would be great to have some leads on how to recreate such server. I checked
> MirageOs, Solo5 etc but fail to connect the dots.

Documentation for how to run MirageOS unikernels on Muen will be part of
the upcoming Muen release which we plan to do soon.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Adrian

[1] - https://git.codelabs.ch/?p=muen/linux/muennet.git
[2] - https://github.com/AdaCore/aws/
[3] - http://www.makewithada.org/entry/ada-iot-stack

Alexander Senier

Jan 19, 2018, 2:43:04 PM1/19/18
to muen...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

there is the embedded web server [1]. It is targeted at embedded systems
an may not count as "complete". I could, however, imagine that it has
fewer dependencies than AWS and could be made run in a native Muen subject.

Cheers,
Alex

[1] http://embed-web-srvr.sourceforge.net/

--
Componolit GmbH · Königsbrücker Straße 124 · 01099 Dresden · Germany
Amtsgericht Dresden · HRB 36670 · Sitz Dresden

http://componolit.com · @Componolit

Olivier Henley

Jan 20, 2018, 9:48:42 AM1/20/18
to muen-dev
Thx, will check that!

Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger

Jan 31, 2018, 5:52:38 AM1/31/18
to muen...@googlegroups.com
On 01/18/2018 04:39 PM, Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger wrote:
> Documentation for how to run MirageOS unikernels on Muen will be part of
> the upcoming Muen release which we plan to do soon.

As part of the v0.9 release yesterday, we published the article
describing how to run MirageOS unikernels as subjects on top of Muen. It
can be found here [1].

Best regards,
Adrian

[1] - https://muen.sk/articles.html