Direct device assignment demo

Inzemamul Haque

Nov 23, 2016, 6:29:13 AM11/23/16
to muen-dev
Hi,
We have certain queries regarding direct device assignment in Muen.
1. How to demonstrate the direct device assignment using NUC Kit DC53427HYE, with demo_system_vtd.xml policy?
2. NIC is assigned to only NIC_linux subject, it should not be possible to configure NIC and do ping in 'storage_linux' subject,
but, it is possible in our case. Can you please explain this behaviour?
3. How to get diagnostics information via AMT SOL?

Inzemam.

Reto Buerki

Nov 24, 2016, 5:29:26 AM11/24/16
to Inzemamul Haque, muen-dev
Hi,

On 11/23/2016 12:29 PM, Inzemamul Haque wrote:
> We have certain queries regarding direct device assignment in Muen.
> 1. How to demonstrate the direct device assignment using NUC Kit
> DC53427HYE, with demo_system_vtd.xml policy?

Typing 'lspci' should show an ethernet controller in NIC Linux and
SATA/USB controllers in Storage Linux. The existence of SATA depends on
whether or not you equipped the NUC with an SSD.

> 2. NIC is assigned to only NIC_linux subject, it should not be possible to
> configure NIC and do ping in 'storage_linux' subject,
> but, it is possible in our case. Can you please explain this behaviour?

Well this depends on what you are pinging. Can you paste the commands
you used?

Keep in mind that NIC and Storage Linux subjects are connected via
virtual network devices using the muennet Linux kernel module [1].

> 3. How to get diagnostics information via AMT SOL?

Please refer to the deploy section in the Muen README [2]. Further
information can also be found here [3].

- reto

[1] - https://git.codelabs.ch/?p=muen/linux/muennet.git
[2] - https://muen.sk/#_deploy