install problems

david

May 5, 2009, 9:40:01 PM5/5/09
to mudballs
hello mudballs group,

i am trying to install mudballs. now i have run (mb:self-update)
and get to
Downloading source for :BOOT 0.0.1 from http://mudballs.com/boot/boot.lisp.
with error:
FUNCALL: undefined function USOCKET:SOCKET-CONNECT

i see :sockets in *features* for whatever thats worth.
but no usockets.
also, before i had error
FFI::FIND-FOREIGN-FUNCTION: foreign function "gethostname" does not
exist

to which i did 3: [COMPILE-SYSTEM] Compile the component and retry.
then on to usocket problem.
i am using slime and clisp on slackware. i have sbcl too if
that might work better. i am out of ideas.

thanks, david

also i type CL-USER> (mb:load :usocket)
0 errors, 0 warnings
0 errors, 0 warnings
#<SYSDEF-USER::SERIAL-SYSTEM :USOCKET 0.4.1 #x20502346>

Sean Ross

May 6, 2009, 4:51:25 AM5/6/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I have an odd feeling we are in
different time zones.

I don't see any particular reason why this shouldn't be working, so I
would suggest trying with SBCL to see if you run into a similar problem.

In an attempt to narrow this down, what does running the following
produce in a fresh CLISP image?

(FFI:DEF-CALL-OUT get-host-name-internal
(:name "gethostname")
(:arguments (name (FFI:C-PTR (FFI:C-ARRAY-MAX ffi:character
256))
:OUT :ALLOCA)
(len ffi:int))
#+win32 (:library "WS2_32")
(:language #-win32 :stdc
#+win32 :stdc-stdcall)
(:return-type ffi:int))

(defun get-host-name ()
(multiple-value-bind (retcode name)
(get-host-name-internal 256)
(when (= retcode 0)
name)))

(get-host-name)

- sean

david

May 6, 2009, 1:40:25 PM5/6/09
to mudballs

On May 6, 3:51 am, Sean Ross <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, sorry for the late reply, I have an odd feeling we are in
> different time zones.
>
> I don't see any particular reason why this shouldn't be working, so I
> would suggest trying with SBCL to see if you run into a similar problem.
>
> In an attempt to narrow this down, what does running the following
> produce in a fresh CLISP image?
>
> (FFI:DEF-CALL-OUT get-host-name-internal
>           (:name "gethostname")
>           (:arguments (name (FFI:C-PTR (FFI:C-ARRAY-MAX ffi:character
> 256))
>                             :OUT :ALLOCA)
>                       (len ffi:int))
>           #+win32 (:library "WS2_32")
>           (:language #-win32 :stdc
>                      #+win32 :stdc-stdcall)
>           (:return-type ffi:int))
>
> (defun get-host-name ()
>    (multiple-value-bind (retcode name)
>        (get-host-name-internal 256)
>      (when (= retcode 0)
>        name)))
>
> (get-host-name)
>
> - sean

no problem for late reply. i am very glad for you to help me at all :)

under clisp i get foreign function get-host-name does not exist.
however, i switch to sbcl and have run self-update upgrade
and test. no problems. then ,per the tutorial, installed hunchentoot.
which seem to work ok until i try
(defparameter *server* (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080))
and get
SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 48 (line 1, column 48) on #<SB-
IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM {C622779}>:
Symbol "START-SERVER" not found in the HUNCHENTOOT package.
which looks to me like hunchentoot problem not mudballs problem.

i have not tried any others yet. going to try ltk this evening.
thanks for your help,
david

david

May 6, 2009, 1:51:51 PM5/6/09
to mudballs
also, congratulations on getting married :)

Sean Ross

May 6, 2009, 5:24:18 PM5/6/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

> i have not tried any others yet. going to try ltk this evening.
> thanks for your help,
> david

Great, it working in SBCL is an indication that the CLISP install that
you have is somewhat broken, I would recommend
getting hold of the maintainers, their website is http://
clisp.cons.org/.
If you are looking for other free Common Lisp implementations I can
also highly recommend Clozure Common Lisp (CCL)
which high quality Common Lisp compiler which runs on Linux, OSX and
Windows with native threads on all platforms.

> until i try
> (defparameter *server* (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080))
> and get
> SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 48 (line 1, column 48) on #<SB-
> IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM {C622779}>:
> Symbol "START-SERVER" not found in the HUNCHENTOOT package.
> which looks to me like hunchentoot problem not mudballs problem.

The Hunchentoot install is working unfortunately it has been upgraded
to version 1.0, since I released
mudballs and wrote this introduction, and has had an API change. The
correct way to start the server is
with the following code.

> (defparamater *server* (make-instance 'hunchentoot:acceptor :port
8080))
*SERVER*

> (hunchentoot:start *server*)

You can find more information by going to http://weitz.de/hunchentoot/
and I will make sure that I update the online documentation.

> also, congratulations on getting married :)

Thank you :)

- sean

TomSW

Jun 14, 2009, 6:18:18 PM6/14/09
to mudballs
On May 6, 10:51 am, Sean Ross <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see any particular reason why this shouldn't be working, so I
> would suggest trying with SBCL to see if you run into a similar problem.

With Clisp on Ubuntu, this errors because gethostname is undefined:

(FFI:DEF-CALL-OUT gethostname
(:arguments (name FFI:C-POINTER)
(length ffi:int))
(:language :stdc) (:library :default)
(:return-type ffi:int))

However, it can be fixed by adding the option (:library :default),
perhaps not on Windows. I'm not certain that this is an error in
Clisp, something from the changelog makes me think that gethostname
was for some time defined in Clisp in case a platform didn't have it,
and has now been removed.

> 2008-08-12 Sam Steingold <s...@gnu.org>
>
> * socket.d: all known unix (and woe32) systems have gethostname

regards,
Tom SW