Tab support feedback

Maxence Bernard

Feb 27, 2011, 7:41:33 PM2/27/11
to אריק הדס, mucomma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Arik,

Here's some feedback on the TabSupport page you wrote on the wiki. I initially wanted to put the notes directly in the page but then I figured it would be messy :)

So here you go -- it's a first batch and I may have more feedback down the road.

1)

Rename - rename the tab title.

Is that really necessary? A tab's title is just the name of the current folder, right?

2)

Save - save current tabs to file.
Load - load tabs from file.

Great idea. I suggest we go one step further and extend / generalize this feature into something I will call 'State' (tentative name) :

 - A State would include (multiple) windows locations as well as tab locations. Simply put, recalling a State would put the application in the same exact state as it was when the State was saved.
 - Hide the notion of file (i.e. where the State is stored) and simply ask the user to name the State (with a default / suggested name like 'State #4'). Recalling a State would just be a matter of picking one of the states (e.g. 'State #4') from the 'Open State' menu.
 - When the app quits, we could automatically save the current State and recall it when the app is restarted. Firefox does this automatically when you quit / restart. On related note, Apple announced last week a similar feature called 'Resume' for its upcoming Mac OS X Lion, that mimics the behavior of iOS apps.

In any case, I suggest we tackle this when the core tab functionality is done.

3)

Lock - any navigation operation inside the tab, would open another tab.

Just to make sure I understood that correctly: if the current tab is locked and I try to enter a folder, the said folder would open in a new tab. Is that correct?

4)

Close* - closing all tabs, closing all except the selected tab.

We could call this 'Call Other Tabs'. This is how it's called in the 'Tab Mix Plus' Firefox Add-on.

5) I suggest we add actions for Next / Previous Tab (on top of Close / Duplicate / Lock / ... tab) to make it easy to cycle through tabs using the keyboard.

Cheers,
Maxence

Arik

Apr 9, 2011, 6:16:51 AM4/9/11
to mucommander-dev
Hey,

Better late than never:

1. About the "Rename" operation - you're right that it's not sounds
useful because the title is changed when we nevigate to other
location. it's more useful when the tab is locked - I saw how someone
use this feature to customize his locked tabs names. maybe we should
restrict it only for locked tabs..

2. The 'State' capability sounds great.

3. Yes, the "Lock" opeation means exactly what you wrote.

4 + 5. I agree.

Regards,

Arik
>  smime.p7s
> 5Kהצגהורדה

Arik

May 2, 2011, 3:03:50 PM5/2/11
to mucommander-dev
Hey Maxence, All,

A patch of a prototype for the multi-tab support feature was uploaded
to: https://rapidshare.com/files/460289835/tabs.diff

Few instructions for using tab feature:
1. Pressing CNTL+ENTER on browsable file would open it in a new tab.
that's possible from the popup menu also.
2. Pressing CNTL+LEFT\RIGHT is used to navigate between the tabs.
3. You can close a tab from the popup menu which is opened by right-
click on the tab's title.
(The shortcuts can be customized using the shortcuts table in the
preferences dialog)

As a prototype, this version has few known bugs and it doesn't contain
all the planned functionality.
I send it to you to check how the tabs interface looks under other
platforms (I use Windows 7) and if the basics of the feature behave
correctly under other platforms (focus for example).

Maxence -

* Do you think that the actions related to the tabs should sit under
the Navigation catagory (maybe Window)?
* I gave up setting the tabs headers to include a cancel button on
them. I think we can keep it in this simple form and after migrating
to JDK 6 we could use JIDE tabbedpane or something similar. What do
you think?

Regards,

Arik Hadas
> > 5Kהצגהורדה-הסתר טקסט מצוטט-
>
> -הראה טקסט מצוטט-

Joshua Lebo

May 2, 2011, 4:27:50 PM5/2/11
to mucomma...@googlegroups.com
I can test on a few Linux distros this evening .

Josh

Joshua Lebo

May 2, 2011, 11:06:02 PM5/2/11
to mucomma...@googlegroups.com
A few observations after building on Ubuntu 10.10

- built correctly
- Could create tabs with Ctrl-Enter.
- Once I created tabs, I was unable to use Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right to
move between tabs.
- I had an error (that I could not reproduce) where selecting tabs on
the left actually changed the pane on the right. Possibly something I did.

Here is my xev output for the keypresses that didnt work under linux
(Ctrl-Left)

KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
root 0x107, subw 0x0, time 1689032, (29,4), root:(966,187),
state 0x10, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
root 0x107, subw 0x0, time 1689634, (29,4), root:(966,187),
state 0x14, keycode 113 (keysym 0xff51, Left), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
root 0x107, subw 0x0, time 1689728, (29,4), root:(966,187),
state 0x14, keycode 113 (keysym 0xff51, Left), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x5a00001,
root 0x107, subw 0x0, time 1690250, (29,4), root:(966,187),
state 0x14, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

Josh

Arik

May 3, 2011, 12:48:59 AM5/3/11
to mucommander-dev
Thanks!

Could you please check in the shortcut table (File->preferences-
>shortcuts) if the keystrokes CNTRL+RIGHT/LEFT were already assigned
to nevigation between windows?

I think I removed those assigns and that's why it worked for me.
if they are assigned to differenent actions, change it so that each of
them will be assigned to one action only.

Thanks again,

Arik

Joshua Lebo

May 3, 2011, 7:34:29 AM5/3/11
to mucomma...@googlegroups.com
That did indeed fix it! Another (tiny) thing I noticed was that in the
Shortcuts box the 'Action description' field says 'PreviousTab.label'
and 'NextTab.label'.

Other than that, seems to be working in all of my test cases.

Josh