[HACKERS] current is broken

Tatsuo Ishii

Sep 13, 2000, 6:45:43 AM9/13/00
> > Good point --- in fact, the encoding itself might be different between
> > the backend and frontend. That seems to imply that "truncate to
> > NAMEDATALEN bytes" could yield different results in the frontend than
> > what the backend would get.
> >
> > > Even better idea would be creating a new function that returns the
> > > actual rule name (after being shorten) from given view name. I don't
> > > think it's a good idea to have codes to get an actual rule name in two
> > > separate places.
> >
> > Given the above point about encoding differences, I think we *must*
> > do the truncation in the backend ...
> >

> I agree with Tatsuo.
> However we already have relkind for views.
> Why must we rely on rulename to implement isViewRule()
> in the first place ?

Oh, I forgot about that.

BTW, does anybody know about the status of pg_dump? It seems tons of
features have been added, but I wonder if all of them are going to
appear in 7.1. Especially now it seems to have an ability to dump
Blobs, but the flag (-b) to enable the feature has been disabled. Why?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Tatsuo Ishii

Sep 13, 2000, 8:38:24 AM9/13/00
> >BTW, does anybody know about the status of pg_dump? It seems tons of
> >features have been added, but I wonder if all of them are going to
> >appear in 7.1. Especially now it seems to have an ability to dump
> >Blobs, but the flag (-b) to enable the feature has been disabled. Why?
>
> Is it? AFAIK, it should not have been disabled. The long params version is
> --blob - does that work?

Ok, long params works. It seems just adding 'b' to the third argument
of getopt() solves "-b" option problem. Do you wnat to fix by yourself?

> Personally, I'd like to see them in 7.1, unless the testing period
> reveals a swag of major flaws... Once CVS is up again, I intend to
> do a little more work on pg_dump, so now would be a good time to let
> me know if there are problems.

New pg_dump looks great. Could you add docs for it so that we can test
it out?
--
Tatsuo Ishii