Large memory Amigas

John Klos

May 27, 2010, 3:22:57 PM5/27/10

I don't remember the status of the problem with large memory Amiga
systems, but that will be the next thing I hope to explore after the
IOblix.

My A4000 has 128 megs of memory, and is fine, but my A1200 has 256 and
can't use more than 64 megs at a time, if you recall. Now there's a new
Zorro III memory product that adds either 128 megs or 256 megs:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=958

http://www.amigakit.com/images/zorram.jpg

This will certainly exacerbate the large memory problem. But an Amiga with
a gig or more of memory is possible, and it'd certainly help with building
certain packages, so it'd be nice to see this issue fixed for good.

John

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Frank Wille

May 27, 2010, 4:06:30 PM5/27/10
John Klos wrote:

> My A4000 has 128 megs of memory, and is fine, but my A1200 has 256 and
> can't use more than 64 megs at a time, if you recall. Now there's a new
> Zorro III memory product that adds either 128 megs or 256 megs:

> [...]

Yes, I have read about it. Very interesting, although I doubt that Z3 memory
can be much faster than the 16 megs mainboard RAM. At least you wouldn't
want to run any code in it.

> This will certainly exacerbate the large memory problem. But an Amiga
> with a gig or more of memory is possible, and it'd certainly help with
> building certain packages, so it'd be nice to see this issue fixed for
> good.

Agreed.

I remember Michael Hitch once suggested to give up Sun/68k compatibility and
start using the address space beyond 0x10000000? I'm all for it. I doubt
that the few persons who use NetBSD/amiga care about Sun/68k compatibility.

--
Frank Wille

Michael van Elst

May 28, 2010, 4:28:35 AM5/28/10
jo...@ziaspace.com (John Klos) writes:

>This will certainly exacerbate the large memory problem. But an Amiga with
>a gig or more of memory is possible

NetBSD 5.99.27 (GENERIC) #1: Wed Apr 28 21:46:49 CEST 2010
mlelstv@henery:/home/netbsd-current/obj.amiga/home/netbsd-current/src/sy
s/arch/amiga/compile/GENERIC
Amiga 1200 (m68040 CPU/MMU/FPU)
total memory = 1024 MB
avail memory = 1008 MB
memory segment 0 at 40000000 size 40000000
memory segment 1 at 00000000 size 00200000

That's the largest possible Z3 card. I'm not sure wether you can use two
or wether that causes some sign problems.

Michael van Elst
Internet: mle...@serpens.de