postinstall not cleaning up after gcc-4.1?

Thomas Klausner

Aug 13, 2011, 2:23:14 PM8/13/11
I've just updated my 5.99.55/amd64 to one with gcc-4.5.
When looking at the file system differences, I note that protoize and
unprotoize haven't been removed, as well as many header files, among
them the whole /usr/include/gcc-4.1 directory.
I thought "postinstall fix" should have done that -- are the set lists
marked correctly or how is it supposed to work?
Thomas

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

matthew green

Aug 14, 2011, 6:10:03 AM8/14/11

> I've just updated my 5.99.55/amd64 to one with gcc-4.5.
> When looking at the file system differences, I note that protoize and
> unprotoize haven't been removed, as well as many header files, among
> them the whole /usr/include/gcc-4.1 directory.
> I thought "postinstall fix" should have done that -- are the set lists
> marked correctly or how is it supposed to work?

hmm... this ports out an issue with set lists 8-/

those files are marked as being for gcc 4.1 only, but they're not marked
as being obsolete in builds they're not part of.

i'm not sure what the right solution here is. they *will* become properly
obsolete when we choose to remove gcc 4.1 (or at least, choose to make
a platform no longer build with gcc 4.1 by marking these MD files as
obsolete.)

.mrg.

Matthias Scheler

Aug 14, 2011, 10:06:46 AM8/14/11
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 08:10:03PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> i'm not sure what the right solution here is. they *will* become properly
> obsolete when we choose to remove gcc 4.1 (or at least, choose to make
> a platform no longer build with gcc 4.1 by marking these MD files as
> obsolete.)

The best (but not nice) solution is probably a custom target in
"postinstall" which checks whether the system is using GCC 4.5
and removes the obsolete GCC 4.1 files.

Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler http://zhadum.org.uk/

Thomas Klausner

Aug 15, 2011, 4:40:07 AM8/15/11
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 08:10:03PM +1000, Matthew Green wrote:
> hmm... this ports out an issue with set lists 8-/
>
> those files are marked as being for gcc 4.1 only, but they're not marked
> as being obsolete in builds they're not part of.
>
> i'm not sure what the right solution here is. they *will* become properly
> obsolete when we choose to remove gcc 4.1 (or at least, choose to make
> a platform no longer build with gcc 4.1 by marking these MD files as
> obsolete.)

Looking at the set lists, I see:
./comp/mi:./usr/include/g++/backward/algo.h comp-cxx-include gcc=4,cxx
./comp/mi:./usr/include/g++/backward/algo.h comp-obsolete gcc=45,obsolete
and indeed, that file was removed by postinstall fix.

So I think the set lists already support this, we just need to add the
appropriate obsolete lines for gcc=45.
Thomas