(amd64) Boot loader's "load" command not working?

Paul Goyette

Jul 31, 2011, 10:31:30 AM7/31/11
While looking into my amdtemp problem, I discovered that the boot loader
is no longer processing "load" commands, neither interactively from the
prompt nor from the /boot.cfg file. In either case, modstat shows that
the specified module(s) are not loaded. (The only module shown with
source=boot is ffs, the root filesystem.)

Has anything changed in this area recently?

| Paul Goyette | PGP Key fingerprint: | E-mail addresses: |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com |
| Kernel Developer | | pgoyette at netbsd.org |

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Gary Duzan

Jul 31, 2011, 10:38:28 AM7/31/11
In Message <Pine.NEB.4.64.11...@screamer.whooppee.com>,
Paul Goyette <pa...@whooppee.com>wrote:

=>While looking into my amdtemp problem, I discovered that the boot loader
=>is no longer processing "load" commands, neither interactively from the
=>prompt nor from the /boot.cfg file. In either case, modstat shows that
=>the specified module(s) are not loaded. (The only module shown with
=>source=boot is ffs, the root filesystem.)
=>
=>Has anything changed in this area recently?

Interesting. This would explain why my usual method of installing
from a release build by putting:

menu=Install NetBSD:load /miniroot.kmod;boot install

in my boot.cfg and these links:

lrwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 92 Jan 24 2011 miniroot.kmod@ -> usr/obj/distrib/amd64/cdroms/installcd.amd64/cdrom/amd64/installation/miniroot/miniroot.kmod
lrwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 56 Jan 24 2011 amd64@ -> usr/obj/distrib/amd64/cdroms/installcd.amd64/cdrom/amd64
lrwxrwxr-x 1 root wheel 57 Jan 24 2011 install@ -> usr/obj/distrib/amd64/cdroms/installcd.amd64/cdrom/netbsd

in / hit a panic in scan_sig+0x52 today, but the install CD worked.

Gary Duzan