NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 16 Mar 1998 - Special issue (#1998-186)

Automatic digest processor

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Topics in this special issue:

1. MISC> E-Mail-related sites
2. MISC> Internet Usage in the Arab World
3. K12> filtering information sites
4. RESOUR> Irish Literature, Mythology, Folklore etc.
5. UPDATED> Educational Web Site - URL CHANGE
6. MISC> Electronic Greeting Cards
7. CONF-NA> Year2000 Conference - March 25, 1998
8. UPDATED> March '98 LPM magazine: Tech Update, nothing.but.net
9. MISC> Free Tax Tips from the Tax Mom
10. NEWSLTR> Recipes File Newsletter
11. MISC> Arizona Newslink Online
12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?SOFT=3E=3C_net_venture_-_Your_Personal_Internet_Tutor=A9_C?
= =?iso-8859-1?Q?D-ROM?=
13. RESOUR> Russian Culture - Mining Company
14. SOFT> Free Yourself! Freeware Site

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:33:32 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> E-Mail-related sites

From: John Tracy McGrath <ja...@linux.cowland.com>
To: gsunet list <gsun...@ecnet.net>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 6:15 AM
Subject: E-Mail-related sites

This URL will bring you to a large and useful collection of mail-related
sites and services, all free. Included are mail-forwarding, email access
from anywhere on Web, address directories, and much more. Well worth a look:
http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Jack McGrath
"Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:33:41 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> Internet Usage in the Arab World

From: John Walker <jwa...@NETWORX.ON.CA>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 6:35 AM

Featured Site:
Link at: http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker

Select:
--> Internet Resources, then
--> Educational Resources, then
--> Astronomy Related Links

Asteroid 1997XF11: Close Encounter in 2028?

One-Mile-Wide Asteroid to Pass Close to the Earth in 2028--HSCA

Asteroid Will Miss Earth by Comfortable Distance in 2028--NASA JPL

Discovery Observation of 1997XF11--UA Spacewatch

Near Earth Asteroid Tracking Home Page--NASA JPL

Astronomers Track Down Asteroids in Hubble Archive--STSCI

These five sites provide information related to the recently discovered
asteroid 1997XF11 and how close it will come to Earth in 30 years.

Courtesy Scout Report

-----------------

Internet Usage in the Arab World
D.I.T

Internet Arab World (IAW) Magazine has just released results from its
first comprehensive survey on Internet Usage in the Arab World.

According to IAW, the average Internet user in the Middle East is young,
(about seven years younger than his US counterpart; 29 vs 36 years old),
male and educated. Of the total respondents, only 4 percent were women.

There's an even fifty fifty split among those who use the Internet at
home and at work, those in work likely to be in large educational and
governmental organisations. Businesses with less than 25 employees are
unlikely to provide Internet access to their employees. 17 percent of
businesses worked in computer and Internet related fields, with 1 percent
in general trade including gas and oil, and 2 percent in the financial sector.

>From this, we can surmise that the Internet is used as an information
and entertainment medium rather than being an inherent part of business.

User satisfaction also seems reliant on the cost effectiveness of the
service- home users tend to be more critical of the service as they have
to pay for their own connection. Kuwait users have the lowest
dis-satisfaction rating (38 percent) whilst those in Jordon are the most
dis-satisfied with their service (73 percent), where Internet connection
costs are correspondingly very high.

The study also found that Arabic sites with Arabic text are getting much
more visits than Arabic sites with English text. However, not all browsers
can read Arabic text.

http://www.dit.net/

Courtesy NUA
----------------------

Also in this issue:
- Spam Jams Pac Bell's Email Services
Pacific Bell Internet Services grappled with an unprecedented load
of spam for four days this week, leading to sporadic disruptions of
email service to thousands of customers across California. The attack
cost the regional telephone company roughly $500,000, an executive said.
- IDT Offers Real-Time Net Faxing Without Computers
IDT Corp. on Thursday started what it called the first service that
routes faxes over the Internet without delay and without the need for
a customer to use a computer.
- Gore says 'Da!' to improved Internet translations
SAN JOSE -- Vice President Al Gore announced a new effort Thursday to
ramp up translation services via the Net.
- On the Net, Your Family Tree Is Just a Click Away
Personal computers are good for nothing if not searching for
information, right? So why not fire up your PC and try to find your
great-grandfather's long-lost brother in Montana? Or discover that
your family tree has roots that burrow all the way to Charlemagne?
Or, at the very least, prove that you're descended from the
Mayflower? After all, isn't everyone?
- Spec to animate Web pages
A new Internet specification, winding its way though a standards
body, could pave the way for Web pages that rival good old
client-server systems for user-friendliness and interactivity,
panelists at an Internet World panel said this week.
- Malaysia scrambles to keep teens from Internet smut
SUBANG JAYA, Malaysia (AP) - The capital skyline begins to sparkle,
and the virtual party begins.
- Self-Regulation Needed To Ensure Privacy
Spring Internet World '98 was the largest conference ever to sponsor
an entire day of events about Internet privacy, but for privacy
advocates, it was a dark week.
- New Lists and Journals
* Piano Man - For Fans of Billy Joel
* landtrust - Discussions of Land Trusts
* Revenge - revenge discussion list
* Ecopsychology Discussion List
SURVEYS THIS WEEK:
FEATURE
: Older Netizens Less Concerned
INTERNATIONAL
: High Tech Hotels
: Internet Usage in the Arab World
MARKETING
: Corporates have poorly designed Websites
FINANCIAL
: Content With Paying For Content
: There's (More) Money In Websites
: Breakthrough in Online Insurance Forecast
ONLINE CAR INDUSTRY
: Online Car Industry
ECOMMERCE
: 24 percent of US Web users are online shoppers
/ \-'~; /~~~(O)
"On the Internet no one / __/~| / |
knows you're a dog" =( _____| (_________|

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:33:48 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12> filtering information sites

From: La Maroon <l_ma...@conknet.com>
To: LM_...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU <LM_...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: Filters

David,
I have a list of filtering information sites at
http://www.moultonborough.k12.nh.us/ma/mediacenter/libinfo.html#filter

the most informative for comparing is Schneider's site
http://www.bluehighways.com/tifap

but check out the others listed.
--
Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will
never, ever get it out.

list...@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER:
For LM_NET Help & Archives see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:33:55 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: RESOUR> Irish Literature, Mythology, Folklore etc.

From: John Reese <jtr...@riverbnd.com>
To: BES...@VM.EGE.EDU.TR <BES...@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 8:19 AM
Subject: Irish Literature, Mythology, Folklore etc.

http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/

Anniina Jokinen's wonderful Irish literature site, which has all
kinds of other fun and useful links, such as history, the language,
periodicals, mythology, folktales and recipes.

Born on March 16, 1822 Rosa Bonheur French landscape painter
(Buffalo Bill) http://www.nmwa.org/legacy/bios/bbonheur.htm

On this day in history, March 16, 1802 Law signed to establish
US Military Academy (West Point, NY) http://www.usma.edu/
John Reese
Quincy Illinois
mailto:jtr...@riverbnd.com
http://www.virtualquincy.com/ - Virtual Quincy Directory
http://www.shopmidwest.com/music/ - Music Emporium

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:34:12 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: UPDATED> Educational Web Site - URL CHANGE

From: Bruce Tudin <btu...@magma.ca>
To: NETT...@LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU <NETT...@LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 9:10 AM
Subject: Educational Web Site - URL CHANGE

Nettrainers, please note the new url for this
educational web site: www.magma.ca/~btudin

Two powerpoint presentations are currently
available for free download from the site including:

Intro to the Internet (4th Ed.) and
Searching the Web (2nd Ed.)

Regards. Bruce Tudin
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Bruce D. Tudin _/
_/ Principal Consultant _/
_/ B. Tudin Information Technologies _/
_/ 6130 Heritage Park _/
_/ Gloucester, Ontario CANADA K1C7G6 _/
_/ Tel: 1-613-834-8669 _/
_/ Email: btu...@magma.ca Web: www.magma.ca/~btudin _/
_/ _/
_/ "You cannot discover new oceans, unless you first have _/
_/ the courage to lose sight of the shore !" Successories _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:34:20 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> Electronic Greeting Cards

Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 9:57 AM
From: None@Entered

http://notovitz.shore.net/globalwarming

Send Free Electronic Greeting Cards

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:34:28 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: CONF-NA> Year2000 Conference - March 25, 1998

Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 10:01 AM
From: mbs...@idirect.com

http://www.mbs-program.com

March 25, 1998 Year2000 Conference - Toronto

Location: Howard Johnson Hotel, Toronto
2737 Keele Street, North York, Ontario
At Keele Street & Highway 401

Telephone: (416) 251-0544 or (416) 252-6896
WWW: http://www.mbs-program.com
E-mail: year...@interlog.com

Agenda: 10 Year2000 experts including:

Gord Jang, VP, Bank of Nova Scotia
Howard, VP, Manulife Financial

... will share their experiences and introduce
solutions that work.

Vendor Demos: PRINCE Software, GTE2000, Sages Inc.,
Action Executive and Databorough International
will demonstrate their year2000 solutions.

Cost: $50 per person or $50 for a group of two.

Literature: Pick up a complimentary copy of a special
Year2000 issue of the Information Technology Report.

Options for out-of-town stakeholders:

Visit http://www.mbs-program.com on March 27, 1998 for instructions on how you
can download each speakers' powerpoint presentation.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:34:37 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: UPDATED> March '98 LPM magazine: Tech Update, nothing.but.net

From: Burgess Allison <all...@mitre.org>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 10:17 AM

The March '98 issue of the American Bar Association's Law
Practice Management magazine has been delivered, and the latest
"Technology Update" and "nothing.but.net" columns have been posted
on ABA Network's Web site.

LPM http://www.abanet.org/lpm/magazine/lpmcontents.html
Tech Update http://www.abanet.org/lpm/magazine/tu982.html
nothing.but.net http://www.abanet.org/lpm/magazine/nbn/nbn982.html

In nothing.but.net this issue: E-mail Overload

In Tech Update this issue: Microsoft's foray into legal data interchange,
an open letter to court and administrative agencies, plus the usual
antitrust hijinks from Redmondia, a little too much world domination
for my taste, and a disturbing trip down Doublethink Lane at Apple.

Hope it helps!
Burgess Allison

<!-- "The first thing we do, let's connect all the lawyers." -->
<!-- -- Skip Shakespeare, Billy's smarter brother -->

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:33:24 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> Free Tax Tips from the Tax Mom

From: Kim B. Foglia <k...@write-design.com>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 2:10 AM

************************************
Free Tax Tips from the Tax Mom
at The Working Moms' Internet Refuge
<http://www.moms-refuge.com/>

April is bearing down on us. But the Tax Mom is here to make the inevitable
a little easier! She posts new tax tips throughout the week at the Working
Moms' Internet Refuge -- providing you with the inside scoop on the new
federal tax code.
<http://www.moms-refuge.com/career/taxtips/index.html>

April the 15th is just about here,
Reducing some people to panic and fear.
As the date approaches there's no need to get queasier,
The Tax Mom's here to make your return a bit easier. ;-)

************************************
Kim B. Foglia
-------------------
Life too hectic? Come on in and find refuge!
Join us at The Working Moms' Internet Refuge
<http://www.moms-refuge.com/>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:00:30 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: NEWSLTR> Recipes File Newsletter

Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 10:38 AM
From: news...@aznewslink.com

http://www.aznewslink.com/recipes.html

RECIPES FILE NEWSLETTER via rec...@aznewslink.com

The Recipes File Newsletter is a weekly newsletter
featuring recipes and only recipes. Delivered every
Sunday the newsletter will contain 12 or more recipes for
your cooking consideration.

This newsletter is great for work-at-home moms or
dads who want to create something unique and
different for the nightly family meal.

Recipe contributions by subscribers is encouraged
and welcome.

TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE RECIPES FILE NEWSLETTER:
Send a message with "Subscribe Recipes" without the
quotes, as the SUBJECT of the message. Send the command to:
rec...@aznewslink.com

The Recipes File Newsletter maintains a web page
at http://www.aznewslink.com/recipes.html

Owner: Arizona Web News Network rec...@aznewslink.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:12:09 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> Arizona Newslink Online

Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 11:04 AM
From: news...@aznewslink.com

http://www.aznewslink.com

Thinking of retiring in Arizona? Or maybe you are planning a trip to the sunny
state? Keep your eyes on: http://www.aznewslink.com A premier website for the
state and national news.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:19:43 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?SOFT=3E=3C_net_venture_-_Your_Personal_Internet_Tutor=A9_C?=
=?iso-8859-1?Q?D-ROM?=

From: Jane C. Lenz <le...@ventureforward.com>
Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 10:26 AM

net.venture™ - Your Personal Internet Tutor© CD-ROM
The Newcomers Vehicle For Mastering The Internet.
Using technology to learn about technology!

net.venture™ - Your Personal Internet Tutor© will equip the Internet newcomer
with the tools necessary for becoming productive, efficient users of the
Internet and World Wide Web. Delivery, instruction, and measurement components
are all stored on the CD-ROM with no online access required.

The single CD-ROM runs on both the PC and Mac platform. Both Netscape
Communicator ™ and Microsoft Internet Explorer™ online simulations are
included. The interactive navigation scheme allows users, whether at home,
work, or school, to pace their own learning-be it 2 hours, 4 hours, or longer.

Topics covered are separated into four distinct modules.
1) Introduction To The Internet & WWW
2) Hot Topics
3) Communication and
4) Searching The Web.

In addition there are self-check components, comprehensive glossaries covering
the Internet & security, and an extensive online bibliography. Supplemental
courseware activities are then provided to assist users when they take the
challenge and go online and begin applying some of their newly acquired
Internet knowledge and skills.

For additional information on net.venture™ - Your Personal Internet Tutor©,
please go to:
http://www.ventureforward.com or email: in...@ventureforward.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:45:30 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: RESOUR> Russian Culture - Mining Company

Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 11:23 AM
From: nikst <ni...@glasnet.ru>

http://russianculture.miningco.com/

Author: Linda DeLaine - russiancul...@miningco.com

Monday, March 16, 1998

In The Spotlight
The Red Tsar
Joseph Stalin, ruler of the Soviet Union from 1929-1953.
Samovar

>From Sedef Atam, comprehensive articles on the origins and traditions of
this tea pot.
New Cargo: Naive Slavic Women

>From Michael Specter; troubling problem of young women and their desire to
leave the Ukraine.
Moscow's Famous Landmark

>From CNN/AP; St. Basil's Cathedral, a victim of time and poor upkeep, is in
desperate need of repair.
Interesting Russian Billboards

>From Skip Evans' Russian Adventurephotos and discussion of the style of
Russian advertizing.
Lee Miller's Russian Collection
Impressive collection of Russian/Soviet medals. Over fifty images; takes a
little while to load, but well worth the wait!

More from your Guide
* An online Treasure Hunt!
* The Old Calendar
* Orthodox Church Readings II {Orthodox Lent; March 2nd}

Net Links
Architecture
Art & Collectibles
Calendar
Christmas in Russia
Clubs & Classes
Folklore & Folkart
Food
History
Language
Literature
News & Events
Opinion
Orthodox Church
Social Customs
Travel
Community
Email
Please email me with your comments, suggestions and questions. I look
forward to hearing from all of you!

Chat
The Chat Room is always open! Chat with your Guide, Saturdays, 3-4 p.m. {EST}.

Feedback
Comments, suggestions? Please take a moment and fill out our Feedback form!

welcome | net links | features | bulletin board | chat | events | newsletter
| feedback | guide bio | share this site | top of page
1998 General Internet Inc. All rights reserved.
General Internet, The Mining Company and GuideSite are trademarks of General
Internet Inc. v2.0

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:45:17 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: SOFT> Free Yourself! Freeware Site

Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 12:23 PM
From: free...@thevortex.com

http://freeware.tierranet.com/

This is a purely freeware site with screen savers, games, utilities, and more,
all reviewed, for download. It also contains a massive freeware site
directory.

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 16 Mar 1998 - Special issue (#1998-186)