Royal Guard

James Neal

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

I just played it... and I have three minor nits to pick. The first two,
are that two very important points in the game are dependant entirely on
luck. The first one, is having enough money to get the holy water -
instead of giving Samar enough platinum, Samar starts with two gems.
Which may, or may not, depending on the "dice" roll, be enough for him to
afford this item you need to finish the game. The other nit is with the
final combat. While it's a great idea, especially considering the theme
of the mod, there's really nothing you can do. (I'm trying not to give it
away here) Supposedly there's some strategy or tactic you can use to get
things to work out right, but I never found any, I just had to save and
restore until one of the guards got off a lucky Hold spell.

My third nit is when Alhana asks who you think is behind all of it. While
there is a great deal of evidence pointing to X as the bad guy, there is
also evidence that points to X being a (perhaps unwitting?) pawn of Y,
and when aksed who I thought was behind it all, my first response was Y.
Which the game considers 'incorrect'. Perhaps Her Majesty's question
could have been worded more suggestively so that players who have been
following the plot well enough to know about X _and_ Y will be more
likely to name X.

These are minor nits, mind you. This is a very good mod, with a tense
storyline, well-selected icons, a nice level of combat (ie, combats when
the story requires them, not a story built around combats), and tasteful
use of the default wall art that suggests an elvish atmosphere very well
without the need for art hacks. Not to mention the teleporting ring
innovation, which is pretty much irrelevant to the mod (it could easily
have been removed and the mod would be just as playable), but still FUN.

I may do a review for the UANL.
In the meantine, my Mycroft's rating for it would be 7.6.