New Mod: The Royal Guard

Han Xu

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

This vampire has lurked in his coffin way too long...

Hehe...Howdy folks. Yes, I have finally finished designing a mod. Though
it's really not saying much considering it's only one-dungeon, for the
folks who remember me, that's saying a lot!

The mod is released in the IBM PC version (GASP!) though it was designed on
a Mac. A Mac version will be released shortly once I'm finished with the
conversion of pics.

Info on The Royal Guard: Faithful Beyond Death adventure module:

You are Samar, captain of the Royal Guard; an elite force whose sole
purpose is to protect the regent of the Silvanesti nation. You have just
witnessed your queen being struck by an assassin's poisoned dagger as you
stood by helpless. Now your queen is near death, the killer loose in
Silvanost, and war brewing between the two Elven nations. These bitter
summer nights will be the longest ones of your life...

This is a short, single-player, one-dungeon module set in the DragonLance
campaign, and serves as a prelude to a much larger campaign to be released,
hopefully, later. This mod is designed to be played with the character
provided.

The mod is very story-oriented and requires the player to think for
themselves. Space limitations also prompted the need for an extensive
adventure journal. There are only two combats found in this mod; both
requires their own strategies to win.

Special thanks to Autery for his gorgeous elven icons. I've finally found
an oppurtunity to use them old friend...:]

Enjoy!
Rasyc :[

PS: In the event that Giga is down, you can always download the latest
version of this mod and its accompanying text file at:

http://avalonweb.home.ml.org/guard.zip
http://avalonweb.home.ml.org/guard.txt

P.S.S: John R and Chris J- t's true; I've finally finished one...:D

James Neal

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

> This vampire has lurked in his coffin way too long...

This has been bugging me for a while, so...
If you're The Man (or, rather The Vampire), how come Coric spelled it with
two Cs? I've always pronounced it "ray-sic", how far off am I?

> The mod is very story-oriented and requires the player to think for
> themselves. Space limitations also prompted the need for an extensive
> adventure journal. There are only two combats found in this mod; both
> requires their own strategies to win.

It sounds very interesting... but what space limitations? It's a one
dungeon mod, so why couldn't you use extra dungeons for their text space?
Adventure journals are very annoying to those of who don't have printers...

James Neal

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

> BTW - I run UA under Win95 and thus could switch to my word processor to
> read the journal with a simple command tab. Do people here prefer to run UA
> under DOS?

I've found that some mods with hacked music (like, say, my own) crash
under Win95 occasionally, a problem that doesn't occur when running the
program from DOS.

> And a note on my module - There's an undocumented feature (not a bug, mind
> you) that *should* have been documented. The ring of teleportation can be
> activated outside of combat by turning on search and walking one step
> toward any direction. Remember to turn off searching once you've arrived at
> your destination.

That's a really neat idea, I wish I had thought of it. I may end up using
it myself... at the end of Hellbound, one of the PCs acquires the ability
to Teleport Without Error at will, and I thought it would be really cool
to get to play him as a solo character with that ability..

Your mod just came up on Giga a few mintues ago and I downloaded it...
still haven't sat down to play it yet, though.

Han Xu

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>That's a really neat idea, I wish I had thought of it. I may end up using
>it myself... at the end of Hellbound, one of the PCs acquires the ability
>to Teleport Without Error at will, and I thought it would be really cool
>to get to play him as a solo character with that ability..

There are two major drawbacks to using it though; 1.) You are effectively
taking out the use of the Search command. Definitely not something to be
used if you have secret walls. 2.) You are limited to the number of
destinations, which is a maximum of four, that is, if you set the last
button for abort. You could, however, set up another button, "More...",
which could bring up a new set of destinations.

I originally used this technique to set up a "guided tour" system (found in
one of the NLs) . When the party needed directions, they simply turn on
search and the NPC guide who's with them will lead them to the desired
destination, after prompting them with a bunch of choices. Similiar to the
guide found in DQK, except that one you could activate it simply by
pressing look.

Have fun,
Rasyc :[

Han Xu

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>This has been bugging me for a while, so...
>If you're The Man (or, rather The Vampire), how come Coric spelled it with
>two Cs? I've always pronounced it "ray-sic", how far off am I?

It's actually "rah-sic". Bah...Bryan's spelling was never up to snub. He
typed my name too fast and put way too many consonants in, but somehow it
stuck for him...He got a furball from Mr. Fizban himself for his error...

Speaking of which, Mr. Bigman Bryan's just about vanished...:(... I guess
he learned that trick from me...

>It sounds very interesting... but what space limitations? It's a one
>dungeon mod, so why couldn't you use extra dungeons for their text space?
>Adventure journals are very annoying to those of who don't have printers...

I meant the space limitations I set for myself, being one-dungeon (I knew
it'd grow on me otherwise, like all my other unfinished mods). I thought
about using extra dungeons, but after completing the journal, which took
eight pages, I realized I'd be devoting one too many modules for merely text.

BTW - I run UA under Win95 and thus could switch to my word processor to
read the journal with a simple command tab. Do people here prefer to run UA
under DOS?

And a note on my module - There's an undocumented feature (not a bug, mind

you) that *should* have been documented. The ring of teleportation can be
activated outside of combat by turning on search and walking one step
toward any direction. Remember to turn off searching once you've arrived at
your destination.

Rasyc :[
- The one and only...