Design Review: Assualt on Kinnia Bay

VIXENKITTY

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

This is a new one from me, eh? A design review...

Assualt on Kinnia Bay (kinnia.zip)

Author: Ben Sanderfer
File Size: 15kb

This was Ben's submission to the "Vanilla" Contest. I am in no way judging the
contest, I happened to download this as a quickie design to play earlier this
week.

I am not a big player of these things. I usually play for a bit, then get
quite bored. This is not due to a lack of designing prowess on anyone's part,
but more of a short attention span on mine. This extremely short design was
just the thing to suit a quick fix for playing.

I'm sure most of you have either played it by now, or have read the reviews of
a few others, so I'll be short:

1) No typos noticed while playing.
2) No bugs noticed while playing.
3) Decent characterization of the principal players in such a short time.
4) Storyline is interesting, if noticeably hobbled together quickly. (I did
enjoy the
"design hook" Ben placed at the very end.. hehe).
5) I disliked not having an area view of the town, considering the main player
supposedly lived there for four years. But, as the contest was restricted
to one
"dungeon" , and the second half of the game was in a maze-like forest, I
could
-almost- forgive that! :)
6) Storyline flowed nicely and should take less than an hour to play (I spent
15-20
minutes).
7) Combats are relatively challenging. No spells in this quick design! There
are a
few magic goodies to be had if you look, though.

All in all, I'd give this little gem a rating of "Go Download it Now!" on a
scale of "Blah to Awe"!

Vix :)