FRUA & Windows '95 ...

DPMMIII

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In a message dated 98-01-07 17:47:05 EST, psu1...@odin.cc.pdx.edu writes:

<< I've found that some mods with hacked music (like, say, my own) crash
under Win95 occasionally, a problem that doesn't occur when running the
program from DOS. >>

A question concerning running FRUA or UAShell through Windows '95:

When running under Windows '95, I don't have enough memory for the
music/sound. I'm shy by about 21,000. Back in the old days of DOS and
Windows 3.1, I could fiddle around with my autoexec.bat and config.sys files
and get enough memory freed up. Now, even though I've gone to "Properties"
and played around, I can't seem to free up enough memory. Can anybody give me
a gentle shove in the right direction?

Thanks!

Don McGraw
DPM...@aol.com
(Who's new to the world of Win 95)

Anthony Hughes

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

When you run Start.bat, it probably created a .pif, right? (A little
Shortcut to ... using the MSDOS icon). If it didn't, right click on
Start.bat and choose Create Shortcut.

Right click on the shortcut, choose properties.

Set Run to "Normal Window."

Click Advanced.

Check the "Suggest DOS mode as necessary"
Uncheck the "Prevent other DOS apps from detecting Windows" (some people
say check this one, others don't. I have never personally had a problem
with this. Try both)

Click OK twice.

OK....
Good: It should work.
Bad: Sounds will come from PC speaker, not externals and music will cut off
when another sound starts. What this means is that, if an event fires a
song, taking a step or any other sound, will cut the song off.

Hope this helps.

A. X. Hughes

----------
> From: DPMMIII <DPM...@aol.com>
> To: frua...@andrew.cmu.edu
> Subject: FRUA & Windows '95 ...
> Date: Wednesday, January 07, 1998 2:57 PM

Thrull

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I've always run DOS games with WIN95.

The key (for me anyways) is to keep fiddling with your config.sys
and autoexec.bat just like you did in the good old days until you
get the optimal amount of conventional memory (keep using F8
and booting straight to DOS until you've got it).

Windows really does do a great job of handling EMS and XMS,
but it can't do anything really for your conventional memory (at least
from my experiences).

Note that a GREAT many DOS based games do run a hell of a lot better
in DOS and so you may find yourself shutting down windows (err..
"restart the computer in MS-DOS mode" sic) just so you can really savor
the animation of your rocket launcher as you blow your opponent into
bloody little chunks while playing Duke Nukem :)

Thrull :<>

Charles Stewart

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I've found that using System Commander alleviates many problems. It
allows multiple OS's and is a godsend. Some games I run under W95 that
don't require it, most notably FRUA, but only when working on graphics
or something similar. Makes easy in/out.
Otherwise, I boot into DOS 6.22 or something else, depending on what I
want to do.

-Drakonar