The Good, Bad, and The Ugly - Kinnia Bay

Thrull

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Well time it a keeps on a tickin' and we only have THREE
(yep count them 3) entries into the Vanilla Challenge.

Since Jan. 1 has come and gone and I believe the UANL deadline
is Jan. 15 anyone else who wants to jump in had better get cookin'

Here's *my* (and just mine) take on the good, bad, and ugly about
our latest entry:

Assualt at Kinnia Bay:
Author - Ben Sanderfer
Theme - Standard AD&D rules set in a coastline city.
The Good - Solid as a rock. I loved it. I had no problems playing it. Combats
didn't frustrate me or bog me down (admittedly I was so carved up
by the time I found my companion I let her take a lot of the brunt of the final battle :)
Mazes weren't unsolvable, etc.
The Bad - Really there isn't much that is bad about this module. My biggest complaint
is you can blow through it in under 20 minutes (took like 15-20 for me), but COMEON
it's a vanilla module for module for Vecna's sake! You can't expect these things to last
to long. The module was pretty much standard fantasy fare which doesn't feature any
flashy settings (no planescape, darksun, etc.) and the area you explore is restricted
(and I do mean restricted! pesky guards!) to the city and surrounding forest area.
All in all I have no real complaints (just wanted to write *something* in this section)
The Ugly - Lord Morgans bad case of steel poisoning in the old chest plate!
The Bottom Line - A nice, quick well balanced module to kill time and have fun. Also a good
potential "prequel" for Ben to create a real module from.

Where would I put it in the current Vanilla challenge? Tough to say...
So far I think I (personally) have enjoyed Test of High Sorcery the
best so far. It has a unique concept and it's replayable!?! Not a small
feat for a vanilla module.

I really really like Kinnia because it's so well balanced (I didn't pull any hair out
this time! my wife will be thrilled :), but on the other hand kudos to James
for creating a planescape vanilla module with lots of atmosphere.

Tough call right now... I guess I'll have to wait and watch (and hope)
for other vanilla mods to come out.

Thrull :<>
"He who stays up too late playing computer games, bearer of colds and illnesses,
watcher of TV when he could be messing around with FRUA, tester of betas,
eater of chocolate..mmmm..choc-o-lllaattee..., consumer of mass quantities of
carbonated beverages, and all around nice guy...well fairly nice guy...pleasant, definately
pleasant to be around...well mannered...ok mostly harmless"