Re: Call for Testing: 12.0-CURRENT amd64 memstick installer

1 view

Vitalij Satanivskij

May 31, 2018, 3:46:25 AM5/31/18
Hi

Tested both images in both modes on:

Supermicro X9SCL-F
E3-1230 CPU

Work perfectly

Glen Barber wrote:
GB> Hi,
GB>
GB> Could folks please help boot-test the most recent 12.0-CURRENT amd64
GB> memstick images on various hardware? Note, this is not a request to
GB> install 12.0-CURRENT, only a boot-test with various system knobs
GB> tweaked.
GB>
GB> The most recent images are available at:
GB> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-mini-memstick.img
GB> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-memstick.img
GB>
GB> We are interested in testing both UEFI and CSM/BIOS/legacy mode, as we
GB> would like to get this included in the upcoming 11.2-RELEASE if the
GB> change that had been committed addresses several boot issues reported
GB> recently.
GB>
GB> Please help test, and report back (both successes and failures).
GB>
GB> Thanks,
GB>
GB> Glen

Christopher Hall

May 31, 2018, 11:35:43 PM5/31/18
Hello Glen,

On Wed, 30 May 2018 15:50:39 +0000, Glen Barber <g...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could folks please help boot-test the most recent 12.0-CURRENT amd64
> memstick images on various hardware? Note, this is not a request to
> install 12.0-CURRENT, only a boot-test with various system knobs
> tweaked.
>
> The most recent images are available at:
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-mini-memstick.img
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-memstick.img
>
> We are interested in testing both UEFI and CSM/BIOS/legacy mode, as we
> would like to get this included in the upcoming 11.2-RELEASE if the
> change that had been committed addresses several boot issues reported
> recently.
>
> Please help test, and report back (both successes and failures).

on Thinkpad T420s mini image boots in both UEFI and Legacy modes, but
UEFI is considerably faster.

--
Best Regards.
Christopher Hall.

Kevin Lo

Jun 1, 2018, 3:12:44 AM6/1/18
On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 03:50:39PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could folks please help boot-test the most recent 12.0-CURRENT amd64
> memstick images on various hardware? Note, this is not a request to
> install 12.0-CURRENT, only a boot-test with various system knobs
> tweaked.
>
> The most recent images are available at:
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-mini-memstick.img
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-memstick.img
>
> We are interested in testing both UEFI and CSM/BIOS/legacy mode, as we
> would like to get this included in the upcoming 11.2-RELEASE if the
> change that had been committed addresses several boot issues reported
> recently.
>
> Please help test, and report back (both successes and failures).

Tested memstick.img in both UEFI and legacy mode on :

Lenovo ThinkPad T430s
MSI Cubi 3 Silent

Both work for me.

> Thanks,
>
> Glen

Kevin

Maurizio Vairani

Jun 2, 2018, 3:23:59 AM6/2/18

> Hi,
>
> Could folks please help boot-test the most recent 12.0-CURRENT amd64
> memstick images on various hardware? Note, this is not a request to
> install 12.0-CURRENT, only a boot-test with various system knobs
> tweaked.
>
> The most recent images are available at:
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-
> IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-mini-memstick.img
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-
> IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-memstick.img
>
> We are interested in testing both UEFI and CSM/BIOS/legacy mode, as we
> would like to get this included in the upcoming 11.2-RELEASE if the
> change that had been committed addresses several boot issues reported
> recently.
>
> Please help test, and report back (both successes and failures).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glen

Hi,
successfully tested the memstick.img on:

HP Microserver Gen8, BIOS
Samsung NP270E5E laptop, BIOS and UEFI

--
Maurizio

George Mitchell

Jun 2, 2018, 10:53:45 AM6/2/18
> On Wed, 30 May 2018 15:50:39 +0000
> Glen Barber <g...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could folks please help boot-test the most recent 12.0-CURRENT amd64
>> memstick images on various hardware? Note, this is not a request to
>> install 12.0-CURRENT, only a boot-test with various system knobs
>> tweaked.
>>
>> The most recent images are available at:
>> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-mini-memstick.img
>> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-memstick.img
>>
>> We are interested in testing both UEFI and CSM/BIOS/legacy mode, as we
>> would like to get this included in the upcoming 11.2-RELEASE if the
>> change that had been committed addresses several boot issues reported
>> recently.
>>
>> Please help test, and report back (both successes and failures).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Glen

Acer Aspire E15 (E5-521-844N)

Boots in Legacy mode. In UEFI mode, the BIOS forced secure boot
and would not allow me to boot from the image.

This laptop is generally not recommended for FreeBSD. I bought it
because of the A8 processor and the 1TB disk. But the disk is as slow
as molasses and the keyboard tends to drop spaces and returns. The
Radeon R5 graphics work in VESA mode, and I was able to get better
performance at an earlier stage of 11-STABLE, but I have seemingly
forgotten the correct magic to get kernel mode setting to work on
11-BETA. -- George

signature.asc

Martin...@tudc.cz

Jun 4, 2018, 11:15:05 AM6/4/18
> Hi,
>
> Could folks please help boot-test the most recent 12.0-CURRENT amd64 memstick images on various hardware? Note, this is not a request to install 12.0-
> CURRENT, only a boot-test with various system knobs tweaked.
>
> The most recent images are available at:
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-mini-memstick.img
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180529-r334337-memstick.img
>
> We are interested in testing both UEFI and CSM/BIOS/legacy mode, as we would like to get this included in the upcoming 11.2-RELEASE if the change that > had been committed addresses several boot issues reported recently.
>
> Please help test, and report back (both successes and failures).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glen

Went well on Lenovo Thinkpad X250, Fujitsu Celsius W530 and Lenovo ThinkCentre M710s.

Martin

David Samms

Jun 6, 2018, 11:08:05 AM6/6/18
Hi

Tested both images in both modes on:

Intel® Server Board S1200KP
E3-1230 CPU

BIOS/legacy mode work perfectly

UEFI failed. Not surprising as I have never gotten FreeBSD UEFI to work
on this motherboard.

Console displayed:
-------------------------
/boot/kernel/kernel....