Re: Acer Aspire AS5672 - Xorg crashes with radeonhd driver - how to fix?

Warren Block

Jul 18, 2011, 7:07:18 PM7/18/11
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> I'm doing more testing on this old laptop: Acer Aspire AS5672[1].
> The machine has a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 gfx chip / card:
> root@kg-home# pciconf -lv | grep -A4 vga
> vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00941025 chip=0x71c51002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> vendor = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
> device = 'ATI MOBILITY /ATI RADEON X1600 (M56)'
> class = display
> subclass = VGA
>
> And 'Xorg -configure' selects the radeonhd driver. Unfortunately, trying to start Xorg with this driver makes Xorg crash.

The standard radeon driver from xf86-video-ati should support that.
radeonhd is pretty much dead.

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Jul 19, 2011, 12:44:12 PM7/19/11
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:07:18 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>
> > I'm doing more testing on this old laptop: Acer Aspire AS5672[1].
> > The machine has a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 gfx chip / card:
> > root@kg-home# pciconf -lv | grep -A4 vga
> > vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00941025 chip=0x71c51002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> > vendor = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
> > device = 'ATI MOBILITY /ATI RADEON X1600 (M56)'
> > class = display
> > subclass = VGA
> >
> > And 'Xorg -configure' selects the radeonhd driver. Unfortunately, trying to start Xorg with this driver makes Xorg crash.
>
> The standard radeon driver from xf86-video-ati should support that.

It does, as described in my original message.

> radeonhd is pretty much dead.

I didn't know that.
In that case, consider this solved.
--