Laptops & FreeBSD

Shaun Reiger

Jul 25, 2011, 5:46:30 AM7/25/11
Hi

I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop and I'm wondering which
brand/model is recommended to run FreeBSD. I would hope to have a fully
functioning unit with few device driver issues if possible.

I do realize that new hardware and FreeBSD are usually and issue, but if
90% work and the rest comes later that would be great.

Any guidance on this would be great.

Cheers,

Shaun

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Markus Hoenicka

Jul 25, 2011, 6:35:07 AM7/25/11
Shaun Reiger <shaun....@gmail.com> was heard to say:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop and I'm wondering which
> brand/model is recommended to run FreeBSD. I would hope to have a
> fully functioning unit with few device driver issues if possible.
>
> I do realize that new hardware and FreeBSD are usually and issue,
> but if 90% work and the rest comes later that would be great.
>
> Any guidance on this would be great.

Hi Shaun,

you may find some guidance here:

http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/

I also have, like probably many others on this list, a story to tell.
See these blog entries:

http://www.mhoenicka.de/system-cgi/blog/index.php?itemid=2132

http://www.mhoenicka.de/system-cgi/blog/index.php?itemid=2133

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
http://www.mhoenicka.de

Shaun Reiger

Jul 25, 2011, 1:22:33 PM7/25/11
Hi Markus,

Thank you for the links and your laptop install story, I was glad to
read that you where able to solve your boot/bios problems. I'm not sure
if any one has tried installing FreeBSD on a Lenovo X1, but this was the
laptop I was considering. It seems like most of hardware is intel. But
I'm unsure of support for its hardware in the current BSD. Here is a
link to the site, and if you know of any issues installing it please let
me know.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=F8EAB670D7F93AC90F0B9F6C58B8E7A2&action=init

Cheers,

Shaun

> Markus Hoenicka <mailto:markus....@mhoenicka.de>
> 25 July, 2011 4:35 AM

> Shaun Reiger <shaun....@gmail.com> was heard to say:
>

> Hi Shaun,
>
> you may find some guidance here:
>
> http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/
>
> I also have, like probably many others on this list, a story to tell.
> See these blog entries:
>
> http://www.mhoenicka.de/system-cgi/blog/index.php?itemid=2132
>
> http://www.mhoenicka.de/system-cgi/blog/index.php?itemid=2133
>
> regards,
> Markus

> Shaun Reiger <mailto:shaun....@gmail.com>
> 25 July, 2011 3:46 AM

Lars Engels

Jul 27, 2011, 8:05:27 AM7/27/11
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:22:33 -0600, Shaun Reiger wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Thank you for the links and your laptop install story, I was glad to
> read that you where able to solve your boot/bios problems. I'm not
> sure if any one has tried installing FreeBSD on a Lenovo X1, but this
> was the laptop I was considering. It seems like most of hardware is
> intel. But I'm unsure of support for its hardware in the current BSD.
> Here is a link to the site, and if you know of any issues installing
> it please let me know.
>

> http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=F8EAB670D7F93AC90F0B9F6C58B8E7A2&action=init

You could download a 9-CURRENT snapshot [1] from PCBSD, flash it to
thumb drive and
test the live mode in a notebook shop nearby.

That's what I did before buying my Lenovo X200.

Lars

[1] ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/snapshots/

Dmitry Kolosov

Aug 1, 2011, 12:41:53 PM8/1/11
В сообщении от 25 июля 2011 13:46:30 автор Shaun Reiger написал:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop and I'm wondering which
> brand/model is recommended to run FreeBSD. I would hope to have a fully
> functioning unit with few device driver issues if possible.
>
> I do realize that new hardware and FreeBSD are usually and issue, but if
> 90% work and the rest comes later that would be great.
>
> Any guidance on this would be great.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shaun

I have Lenovo Ideapad y550p and no problems at all. Previously, i have HP
Pavilion dv6800 series laptop, but, like many many other HP laptops - it has
very unsufficient cooling system and becomes very HOT, for 1 year of usage i
replaced a battery (damaged by heat) and hdd (lowest temp was about 55C all
the time). I will not recommend you HP laptops. Lenovo is pretty cold, quiet
and fast.